Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Boxing photography help
Lens: pentax 50mm f/1.4 Camera: Pentax K7 Photo Location: Lowell MA ISO: 3200 Aperture: F1.8 

Hi.
I have just begun taking boxing pictures and would love some advice. I recently bought a K7 and have taken pics at a couple different boxing shows (picasaweb.google.com/joep1115). This image is kind of typical of what i've been getting

Any recommendations on changes to settings?

tx

01-21-2013, 01:34 PM   #2
Forum Member

I know that others will have better advice, but I'll toss this out there for what it is worth. Find a spot in the ring where there will likely be a lot of action. Prefocus on that spot, then leave your focus set to manual. Get all of your settings the way you want them, iso, shutter speed, etc. You will lose out on other action shots, but you take a lot of the hunting for correct settings, readjusting focus, etc. (which may lead to even more missed shots) by following them around the ring. If they tend to stay more in one spot than you anticipated, just adjust to that spot. I'm thinking about when I used to shoot sports, with no flash, in tricky lighting, for our high school year book using my k1000 and the school's A1 and that worked really well to get some pretty good photos. I'd check your current photos out, but work tends to block or slow down most access.
01-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #3
Inactive Account

I really wouldn't recommend using ISO higher than 800 on K7 for best detail.

But if I were you, I would care less about the settings and more about boxing as a sport.
Good sport photographers see that magic moment way before we "normal" people do, because they know where to look and what to expect. For example, there is no way you can get exclusive shots of Rafael Nadal, if you haven't fully analized his unique play style.
If you are serious about shooting boxing, learn (and practise) this sport as much as you can. Find a fighter that you like, analize his fighting style, meet him in person and learn about his personality.

I believe that is a better advice, than saying that K7 produces an unpleasing amounts of noise at higher ISO's
Wish you the best and hope to see some breathtaking pics soon

Last edited by Apapukas; 01-21-2013 at 04:42 PM.