Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-21-2013, 08:14 PM   #1

My personal favorites- but are they any good?
Lens: 18-55mm, 50-250 Camera: Pentax K-30 

These are some of my personal favorites of photos I've taken... not edited. What do you think?
(Not all photos are Pentax-- some are from before my K-30, just Canon point and shoot).

girl looking at reflection, at the Aquarium (point and shoot)

little girl reaches for dripping water, at ski lodge (Pentax K-30)

"Desire" girl reaching for sky, in camera processing (point and shoot)

after the victory, cross country meet, reflection in trophy (Pentax K-30)

Honest feedback and critique?
I'm looking to improve my capturing of people, as I'm more of a nature kinda photographer.
Thank you!

Attached Images

View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo   
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
01-21-2013, 08:42 PM   #2
MSL
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by natureshot12 Quote
girl looking at reflection, at the Aquarium (point and shoot) little girl reaches for dripping water, at ski lodge (Pentax K-30) "Desire" girl reaching for sky, in camera processing (point and shoot) after the victory, cross country meet, reflection in trophy (Pentax K-30)
reflection: image is too busy, because there are too many reflections
ski lodge: I had no clue what I was looking at, or what the orientation of all the ski poles is (now that I know what they are). just doesn't work for me
girl reaching for sky: has potential, but the focus is wrong, it needed to be on the girl, not the white cushion (or whatever it is) in front of her
trophy: best of the bunch. glare/hot spot is unfortunate, and should be edited if possible. best of the images in terms of telling a story
01-21-2013, 08:45 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback. In the desire one, I was going for the focus on the rough spot to contrast it with the perfection she's reaching for (so my focus was on purpose), but I see your point. Yeah I can probably edit out the glare. I have a lot more pictures from cross country (cause that's what I do), so I'll work on making sure those tell stories.
Thanks.
01-21-2013, 08:54 PM   #4
MSL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by natureshot12 Quote
Thanks for the feedback. In the desire one, I was going for the focus on the rough spot to contrast it with the perfection she's reaching for (so my focus was on purpose), but I see your point.
I think if you can try this sort of experiment again, it would be better to focus on infinity (i.e the trees or sky) so that what she is reaching for is in focus.

01-21-2013, 09:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
Ok, I will keep that in mind if I do a shoot like that again.
More like this or this?
Attached Images

01-21-2013, 09:21 PM   #6
MSL
Pentaxian

I like the focus of the image on the left a bit better and the pose on the right. In both of these images you seem closer to the subject than the first, which I don't think helps. So if you can mix up elements of all three it will be perfect!
01-21-2013, 09:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yes, I agree that for this one farther away would be better. Thanks for all your advice!

01-22-2013, 03:30 PM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to pentaxforums!

Congratulations on photographing from above to capture the image of the child with poles. That image might be even more successful as a horizontal image showing more of the poles' length.

I like the second and third images you posted of the model reaching for the sky. I suggest cropping the cushion (or whatever it is) out of both of those images. Please forgive me for saying so, but in my humble opinion the cushion distracts and detracts.

I consider the second image you posted of that model to be "better" than the third image because I prefer the increased sharpness of focus. However, I like what appears to be a hint of a more pleasing expression in the third photo.

I consider the second photo of the model to be worthy of display in a public venue such as a gallery or coffee shop, and the third version might be, too. I hope you have or can get a model release, as the photo could be marketable.

Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your work.