Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-29-2013, 09:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Fishing Nets
Lens: SMC-A 28mm F 2.8 Camera: K-7 Photo Location: Northern Michigan ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.6 

Was out the other day playing with my newest lens purchase. I didn't think much of this pic as it was captured but after processing I found i rather enjoyed it. Please let me know what you think. Recommendations are always welcome, Thanks

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
01-31-2013, 09:39 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Given the shutter speed and ISO, you had plenty of light to stop down a bit and get more of the nets in focus. As it is now, the composition and strong structural elements are compelling, but as you look deeper into the photo, you are met with... nothing. The out of focus foreground is also a bit of a detractor.

From a technical perspective, your processing has pure blacks but the whites peak at around 240 - there is more contrast available to you if you want it.
02-08-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think there is anything I would do diffrently, I like it the way it is. The DoF is perfect providing enough details to create a continuity of subject, but also enough distinction to create that 3D effect suggesting distance in the absence of any other rerference point. The composition is engaging with the strong diagonals, and the muted white snow at the 3rd left sort of counter balances the apparent tension created by the stretched fishing net and the darker right side. Stronger whites would attract too much attention IMO. The tonal quality suggests a peaceful mood reminscent of the winter days awaiting spring to come for the next fishing season. I like it very much.
02-09-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I too would prefer it to be stopped down a little further. The texture is interesting and I'd love to see more of it.

03-07-2013, 08:56 PM   #5

I, for one, really love the shallow depth of field; but I agree that the photo could be more engaging. Personally I would just love to see a series; the same nets from different angles to create different patterns hung as a diptych or triptych. I also agree that the white snow could benefit from moving fully into Zone 10 and having pure white on the highlights.

Thanks for sharing this; I must say again that I love it the way it is.
03-08-2013, 07:17 AM   #6

I do like the picture, but I think you could have stopped down a little bit, so as to get greater depth of field...

But it's really nice !