Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2013, 02:44 AM   #1

Humayun's Tomb in New Delhi
Lens: 18-55mm Kit Camera: K-30 Photo Location: New Delhi ISO: 400 Aperture: F16 

Humayun's Tomb, located in New Delhi near Hazrat Nizamuddin railway station, is a UNESCO world heritage site, one of the three in Delhi, India. The monument is believed to have been the inspiration for the Taj Mahal.

Anyone interested in reading more about the monument can go to the link below

http://www.sawfnews.com/Travel/68364.aspx

My focus here is to get some feedback on this photo. Other than cropping, setting DNG Color 2 and using Natural Fine sharpness in the Pentax Utility, I did not do anything else with the photo.

I am particularly interested in getting your opinions on the composition? Does it need any more post processing?

Last edited by Inexorable; 01-30-2013 at 02:46 AM. Reason: The link was malformed
01-30-2013, 06:15 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think its pretty good, it looks almost like HDR. The only thing I find is the horizon isn't quite horizontal. If you shot raw, you could also make the grass/foreground brighter, but its not really a problem. But in terms of focus and exposure its great, especially considering it was taken with the kit lens
And if you shot as jpeg, there isn't much you can do without lowering the overall IQ
01-30-2013, 09:00 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm a beginner, so take this for what it's worth. If it were my picture, I would straighten the building on the horizon, and crop/clone out the trees on the 2 sides. Otherwise, it's a very nice photo.
01-30-2013, 10:19 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Personally, I would have walked around the other side of the structure and got some shots with no trees blocking the view. Your object is to show off the structure, no?

01-30-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Personal opinion would be to get up higher so that you are shooting down on the subject some rather than up. If it were possible.
01-31-2013, 03:38 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Being a architectural shot more "pop" (contrast?) might improve it a bit.
01-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I think its pretty good, it looks almost like HDR. The only thing I find is the horizon isn't quite horizontal. If you shot raw, you could also make the grass/foreground brighter, but its not really a problem. But in terms of focus and exposure its great, especially considering it was taken with the kit lens
And if you shot as jpeg, there isn't much you can do without lowering the overall IQ
I fixed the image as per your suggestions. I am still not sure I have the horizon absolutely right, though it looks right in my Pentax utility. I didn't go beyond fine tuning the green. Didn't feel confident using tone curves.

I too felt impressed by the kit lens. The rest of the photos are at the link below. Some of them were taken hand held at 1/20 sec without any loss of sharpness...I think. I did use a string to stabilize the camera.

Thanks for the suggestions.

http://sdrv.ms/WD3vZ1

01-31-2013, 03:51 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PBandJ Quote
I'm a beginner, so take this for what it's worth. If it were my picture, I would straighten the building on the horizon, and crop/clone out the trees on the 2 sides. Otherwise, it's a very nice photo.
I straightened the horizon (picture has been updated) but felt the trees provided some framing....

Thanks for the suggestions.
01-31-2013, 03:53 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gjtoth Quote
Personally, I would have walked around the other side of the structure and got some shots with no trees blocking the view. Your object is to show off the structure, no?
They have these trees at practically all the corners...The full set of the photos is at

http://sdrv.ms/WD3vZ1
01-31-2013, 03:57 AM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by alamo5000 Quote
Personal opinion would be to get up higher so that you are shooting down on the subject some rather than up. If it were possible.
I am certainly going to try a look down view during my next visit. The lawns around the structures are sprawling. There is an outer wall. Maybe there is a spot on the wall. Have to do it without getting arrested or breaking my bones. The K-30 is more replaceable...