Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-02-2013, 09:45 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Against Winter Skies

I love the way these birds are contrasted against our winter skies.

I got JUST a little bright overcast as the sun tried to break through the snow clouds.

Composition-wise, this sucks... badly. But, I really like the colors against the winter sky background.

02-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
#1 is perhaps the throwaway of this bunch, with the twig exiting the top of the frame and what appears to be front-focus (the face isn't sharp).

#2 is quite nice. You have good luck with that male cardinal.

#3, I wish the bird's left foot had stayed in the frame, and the black point is too low - I'd like to see more contrast in the bird's body, I assume the dark grey is really black, the colors would pop more as a result.

#4 I really don't mind the composition, it actually tells a bit of a story with them looking opposite directions, and the profile view of the female cardinal is sharp and well exposed. Again though, the black point could be brought in to produce more contrast.

I don't know if you're doing much for post processing, but there are some minor tweaks that could really improve the exposure in these shots.
02-02-2013, 06:38 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grainbelt Quote
#1 is perhaps the throwaway of this bunch, with the twig exiting the top of the frame and what appears to be front-focus (the face isn't sharp).

#2 is quite nice. You have good luck with that male cardinal.

#3, I wish the bird's left foot had stayed in the frame, and the black point is too low - I'd like to see more contrast in the bird's body, I assume the dark grey is really black, the colors would pop more as a result.

#4 I really don't mind the composition, it actually tells a bit of a story with them looking opposite directions, and the profile view of the female cardinal is sharp and well exposed. Again though, the black point could be brought in to produce more contrast.

I don't know if you're doing much for post processing, but there are some minor tweaks that could really improve the exposure in these shots.
Thanks very much for your input. I don't do a lot of PP... mainly cropping when needed and some USM. I'll have to check the black point and contrast settings. I'm blessed to have an abundance of cardinals so I have no lack of subjects.