Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 01:06 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
OOF Flower
Lens: Pentax M50mm F4 Macro Camera: K5 Photo Location: Backyard. NSW Australia ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F4 

Please give this your Judgement. Was taking shots of flower, this one caught my eye. Was trying for Bokeh with small portion in focus.

Attached Images

Last edited by gmans; 02-08-2013 at 01:23 AM. Reason: last sentence
02-08-2013, 02:20 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Yes I really do like this. My first impression was negative but now there are lots of things I appreciate about this picture. (Colour, tone, highlights, form.) I think it would have good longevity on the wall.
02-08-2013, 03:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you Russell. cheers for the encoragement.
02-08-2013, 04:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I think you already know what is lacking in this photo, OP. The problem with such thin DoF is that you really have to decide where you want the focus of the photo to be, where the interest is. With flowers you might want to put the focus on stems or some interesting features instead of just on a small bit of a petal leaf. Especially with macro photography, people tend to use a smaller aperture to widen DoF. Bokeh can enhance the photo, but its rarely the main feature. In my opinion.
In that specific photo you might want to put the focus on the yellow bit (seen in the bottom and one at the top of the shot)
Edit: Btw, I am no flower expert, but there are many nice flower photos posted on these forums, maybe take a look at them for inspiration?
And also, that is a nice lens you have there, it is a great choice and it will allow you to develop skills very quickly

02-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
\you really have to decide where you want the focus of the photo to be
Bingo, that's what distinguishes pictures such as this from those which constantly,cover our screens. Interesting images demand repeated and extended attention. Others hit you straight away but perhaps don't have the lasting appeal. Which is better? Leave that question to the viewer.Viewers not capable of this can stick to TV .
02-08-2013, 11:43 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Na Horuk, Yes your point about the where the focus should be, is taken. Was trying to stay away from the stamen veiw, as this is the popular veiw. This other shot is the Stamen veiw. Please compare the two. Did not realise that you could post more than 1 pic. Noob mistake.
The 50mm macro is the oddest lens around, but it is a great little oddity..
Attached Images

02-08-2013, 01:09 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Ah yes, I get your point now. The second photo is much more "classic flower photography", but you were trying to break the conventions on purpose. I appreciate that, but its hard to convey that message to viewers without text