Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Bad Tine

I was debating on upgrading to the K20, but alot of kind people on the site have talked me into sticking with my K10 and getting a few new lenses.
i am still a ROOKIE at this photo thing but love shooting and am wondreing about a few photos I have shot and what could make them better.

Photos 1,2,3 and 5 are with a Sig 70-300
Photo 4 is with the Sigma 50-500

Attached Images

02-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Well, first these are great captures and if you have opportunities to shoot animals in the wild like this a bit, you'll get some great keepers over time.
Second wildlife hooting is not the easiest since you often have little time to make adjustments and choices about framing and the background. But there are a few things you can do to get even better results.

So the thing I see first is the framing of these.
1) nice shot and the entire Buck is in the shot. The rump of the other animal takes away from the shot. I would suggest cropping the shot to eliminate the other animal if the resolution can handle that much cropping. When shooting I would have tried to ether frame it tighter or shoot as a portrait. Ecposure of the animal is a touch dark but that can be corrected I think. Use spot metering.
2) Nicely exposed image. Love the colours and the light, nice and warm, snow and animal look great. To improve the shot I would have done 1 of 2 things. Either zoom in more and get a head and shoulder shot only or pull back to get the feet in as well. So like #1 it needs help with the framing. The background is confused but that's tough to control.
3) Similar comments. Use spot metering but this can be brightened and the animal will pop more. The main issue again is the framing. The hind quarter is too close to the edge of the frame. A shift to the right would have framed this perfectly.
4) Love it. Colour is nice and the shot is well exposed. Sharp and nicely framed. This shot breaks the rule of thirds because the animal is right in the center but the V of the mountains draws you eye to the subject. Small issue, is the blurred rock in the lower left. It's the only thing not in focus and does cause some distraction. But this is very minor.
5) nice shot but the framing is again an issue. Plus the fact that you have 2 animals in the shot confuses the image. Or is that a new breed, the 4 horned sheep?

Overall this is good stuff and with a little tweaking, you have some real winning shots. Something to think about when you go here again. have a look at the animals path in the area and try to position yourself so the sun is behind you. Then they are lit up and not shadowed. Makes the exposure easier. Use the 50-500 as long as the light allows you to. I know it's heavy but the extra reach and range will offer a lot more choice in framing the shot.

I hope this didn't come across as too critical. The advice is free and worth about that. Second, I'm impressed with the shots and how well you did.
02-24-2008, 07:54 PM   #3
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
BTW, I don't understand the title????

The advice you got was wise IMO. A new body will do far less than better glass. Complete that quest (if that's possible), learn how to use the glass/camera combo you get before you even consider another body.