Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-08-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Selective Color

I'm interested in what you all think of the use of selective color in this photo. I know that the effect tends to be overused but I thought it would work here; the rest of the graveyard in stark black and white with Jayne's flowers in vibrant color. So, all comments are welcome.

Last edited by Workingdog; 04-07-2013 at 12:02 PM.
02-08-2013, 03:49 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I'm not there, but I think the other colors are subdued enough (shades of light gray) that selective color is not really needed to pop the reds.
02-08-2013, 09:25 PM   #3

I don't think it's about the greys being subdued enough I think you just need to be a little bit more selective on what you want to color. Where do you really want to draw the eye?

Currently you have reds all over the image which will draw the eye all over the place if you are a little bit more restrained you will get a better effect. Less is more.

I have taken the liberty of editing your photo I hope you don't mind. Obviously, there are lots of choices you could make here on exactly what you want to color.

Best,

-Q
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
02-09-2013, 05:39 AM   #4
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I respect qleak's opinion and like his version of the photograph, but in your original post I have no problem with the use of selective color in more than two blooms. However, you might want to consider:
• removing the color in the bloom immediately to the right of the word Mansfield and perhaps also in the other flowers on the right side;
• removing the color in the primarily white blooms at left;
• using a vignette filter or another software tool to at least slightly blur the busy background.
Best wishes.

02-09-2013, 06:09 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I respect qleak's opinion and like his version of the photograph, but in your original post I have no problem with the use of selective color in more than two blooms. However, you might want to consider:
• removing the color in the bloom immediately to the right of the word Mansfield and perhaps also in the other flowers on the right side;
• removing the color in the primarily white blooms at left;
• using a vignette filter or another software tool to at least slightly blur the busy background.
Best wishes.
All solid suggestions. I especially like the vignette suggestion.

I honestly hope I didn't pick the best possible color choice for the flowers, I would hate to steal Workingdog's thunder. I just wanted him to see that what makes the reds pop in selective color picture is how the eye is drawn across the photo.

Best,

-Q
02-09-2013, 07:08 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Mmm, I see.... Some great observations and advice. I especially like the caution that selective color can be overused within the image with the statement that less is more. Great advice and I'll play with that, especially the removal of the distracting bits of color scattered about. I tried to blur the background with my original choice of aperature, but maybe not enough perhaps. I'll play with that too in the software. It might not be right away, but I'll post the result of my tweaking and hope you'll comment further. Thank you.
02-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I took all of the comments into account and came up with this reworked photo. I colored fewer of the flowers on the left, blurred the background more, darkened the whole thing a bit for mood. The flowers on the right were tough and I went back and forth between color/no color. In the end I shifted the color toward red and desaturated a bit to be less in-your face. I like it more than my original effort but it might not be "done" yet. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by Workingdog; 04-07-2013 at 12:02 PM.
02-10-2013, 05:23 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

Your new version is, in my humble opinion, very effective.
02-10-2013, 07:08 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I looked at it again with fresh eyes and I like it too. Thanks smf and qleak for some great suggestions and advice.
02-10-2013, 01:40 PM   #10
smf
Pentaxian

You are most welcome.
I look forward to seeing any future photos you choose to post.
02-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #11
Pentaxian

IMO, less is more with selective color. I like just the minimal number of flowers colored and at that, desaturating the colors to provide a very subtle effect would look better than any o the flowers looking bold.
So where is jaynes gravesite?
02-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #12

I like the desaturated flowers on the right of the headstone. And those two subtle pink roses poking out from behind on the left make me smile. Nice work

Best,

-Q
02-13-2013, 07:27 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
@mikeSF - jaynes gravesite is in the small town of Pen Argyl, Northeastern PA.

Thanks again, everyone for the great feedback and tips.