Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-09-2013, 05:50 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good morning bebe.
Lens: DA 18-55mm L kit lens Camera: Pentax K-30 Photo Location: Apartment ISO: 1600 Shutter Speed: 1/25s Aperture: F4.5 

My granddaughter was on a fit touching moms belly and screaming "Touch it, touch it, touch it, cheeseee"

I had to pull out the camera and oblige.

02-10-2013, 05:13 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Interesting. Biting her mother?
This will be a great shot for someday black-mailing your granddaughter.
Thanks for sharing.
02-10-2013, 05:58 PM   #3

Original Poster
I don't know, now that you mention it, it really looks like a bite. But in reality was just thousands of a second late on a big smooch... more like a sucking slobbering big smooch.
02-11-2013, 01:21 PM   #4
Veteran Member

HAHA - cute!

02-12-2013, 06:57 AM   #5

Original Poster
i know is a baby kissing an unborn baby, I know, hard to critique. But please try to. It was a candid moment, i know, so much you could do in the situation, so why critique it right? For starters, I think you got to learn about every single thing in life. Maybe I'll get some good info on things to look for or try differently and react quicker or something.

Again, I know it's cute and all, hey it's my granddaughters!!! c'mon now! lol But please drop the hammer on this thing!!! lol

Last edited by BigJPR; 02-12-2013 at 06:58 AM. Reason: grammar, spelling.. i wasn't born here O kay! lol
02-12-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BigJPR Quote
i know is a baby kissing an unborn baby, I know, hard to critique. But please try to. It was a candid moment, i know, so much you could do in the situation, so why critique it right? For starters, I think you got to learn about every single thing in life. Maybe I'll get some good info on things to look for or try differently and react quicker or something.

Again, I know it's cute and all, hey it's my granddaughters!!! c'mon now! lol But please drop the hammer on this thing!!! lol
The biggest thing is that the kiss looks like a bite ... a lot of people will go "eeekk".
I like how the little girl is framed and how a portion of her eye is visible - love her hair and soft skin as well. She is pretty much at the perfect angle and perfect exposure.

The mommy's tummy ... I think a softer lens would of been more ... flattering.
I would of also framed more closer on the tummy and the little girl's face ... put more attention on the actual kiss (well, bite in this case ) - mommy's hands are not complete so they should not be there.

Other than that ... it is a great candid shoot and a very cute moment .
02-12-2013, 01:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thank you very much!

I wanted to include the babies hands, so I went portrait and still be tight on the babies face and belly, but thinking about what you are saying about the mom's hands I should have gone then landscape which would have cut mom's hands and allowed me to still put the babies hands grabbing hold of the belly. On the softer lens can't do much about it since I only got the DA 18-55mm AL kit lens, still understand the reasoning behind the softer lens ( Sharp pores, birth marks etc )

Now, I know by now, looking through threads that most lenses if not all have a sharp focal range and softer focal ranges which have nothing to do with how sharp a lens is at a particular aperture. Thinking about this kit lens, would it be safe to say, if I would have gone 50-55mm at it's widest f/5.6 that the image would be a little softer using the same framing? I checked the exif and this was shot at 42mm or around there @ f/4.5 .

Thanks again.

Jose

02-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Thank you very much!

I wanted to include the babies hands, so I went portrait and still be tight on the babies face and belly, but thinking about what you are saying about the mom's hands I should have gone then landscape which would have cut mom's hands and allowed me to still put the babies hands grabbing hold of the belly. On the softer lens can't do much about it since I only got the DA 18-55mm AL kit lens, still understand the reasoning behind the softer lens ( Sharp pores, birth marks etc )

Now, I know by now, looking through threads that most lenses if not all have a sharp focal range and softer focal ranges which have nothing to do with how sharp a lens is at a particular aperture. Thinking about this kit lens, would it be safe to say, if I would have gone 50-55mm at it's widest f/5.6 that the image would be a little softer using the same framing? I checked the exif and this was shot at 42mm or around there @ f/4.5 .

Thanks again.

Jose
I think an easy "quick" fix (well not really cus it might take some time) will be to go to a 1:1 ratio and crop on the little girl and the tummy - the little girl's hands hugging the belly must be in the shot - sends a lot of warm emotions to the viewer (unless they are made of ice ).

Also, if you have a little bit of experience, import the image in Photoshop and VERY carefully select the tummy and smooth out the skin - do not over do it! Just very, very little. Work with a copy so you don't destroy the original by mistake.

I'm not very familiar with those lenses so I can't recommend a setting ... I am a manual lens guy and usually shoot portraits with f1.4 - f1.7 - f2.0 (depending on light and person).
02-12-2013, 01:55 PM   #9

Original Poster
When you say smoothing, sort of like...

New layer
gaussian blur ( to an extent )
then play with opacity of layer and also make a mask so it only affects the belly correct?

or is there a more natural way or better way to do it?
02-12-2013, 03:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

When you say smoothing, sort of like...

New layer
gaussian blur ( to an extent )
then play with opacity of layer and also make a mask so it only affects the belly correct?

or is there a more natural way or better way to do it?
Yep, something among those lines.
02-12-2013, 09:51 PM   #11

Original Poster
Let me know if that's too much or too little smoothing...

I got an ol' dell 4:3 uncalibrated monitor. So that's why I ask.
Attached Images

02-12-2013, 09:52 PM   #12
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Looks a bit like breast-feeding, which would be weird for all concerned :-)
02-12-2013, 09:54 PM   #13

Original Poster
Yeah I know... That's why I kinda left the hands on the original... would have loved to have a little bit more hands, but the moment was gone already.
02-13-2013, 07:10 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Yep ... now that I see the 1:1 frame I have to admit the original still looks better ... ... and is all because of that smooch that looks like a bite.
It does look like breast-feeding ...

This is the moment when you accept defeat and leave it as is ... and plan better in the future.
Is still a good and cute picture so no harm in there. For a candid family moment the picture is just perfect.
Sorry ...
02-13-2013, 09:20 AM   #15

Original Poster
Don't be sorry, I declared defeat when I brought it into LR lol Just wanted thoughts of what could have been better from other people, so next time something similar is going on, I'll be more prepared for the challenge. All about that learning experience. Thanks you very mucho guys!

BTW Newt, Is the smoothing on moms belly ok or too much?
« Vertigo | Busy Bees »