Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
02-20-2013, 02:01 PM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Evaporation
Lens: Sigma 70 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Martinez ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F2.8 

I'm curious to other opinions about which format.... landscape or portrait works best for this subject. I was thinking portrait because of the vertical shape of the grass but just don't know. Any other suggestions are always welcome. Thanks for looking and commenting.

02-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

I immediately preferred the portrait version's composition, but on a closer look I see some nicer aspects in the landscape. The central blade of grass is more in focus in the landscape; the "hairs" near the bottom of the frame remain sharp. In portrait, only the top of the blade is in focus.

My vote would be to take the landscape and crop to turn it into portrait. The final photo will have the grass+droplet as the subject. Crop away more of the right side than the left so the blade is a little off center; the out of focus areas on the left look more interesting than the blander even shade of green on the right.

But, if you want the final photo to be more about the water droplet than the grass, just keep the original portrait.

(regardless of what you do, they are both nice photos)
02-20-2013, 04:34 PM   #3
jac
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I alawys like portrait for vertical, linear subjects and DeadJohn's compromise sounds like like a solution!
02-20-2013, 05:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I will play around a little tonight to see the differences. My original intent was to have as little in focus as possible because the water drop and tip of grass was the subject. But I see your points about the rest of the blade of grass and the bokeh on the left. Thanks again for taking the time to comment.

02-21-2013, 07:01 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the horizontal version as presented but consider the vertical stem approximately a third of the way from the left edge to be a distracting element.
If the image were mine, I would try cropping from the left, and then perhaps darkening the left are and perhaps also the light area immediately to the right of the lower portion of the blade of grass.
The darker green area near the water drop and to upper right has appealing richness.
I hope to see more of your work.
By the way, if you haven't already seen it, you might enjoy Harold Davis' book on photography of water drops.
Best wishes.
02-21-2013, 08:38 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I like the horizontal version as presented but consider the vertical stem approximately a third of the way from the left edge to be a distracting element.
If the image were mine, I would try cropping from the left, and then perhaps darkening the left are and perhaps also the light area immediately to the right of the lower portion of the blade of grass.
The darker green area near the water drop and to upper right has appealing richness.
I hope to see more of your work.
By the way, if you haven't already seen it, you might enjoy Harold Davis' book on photography of water drops.
Best wishes.
Thank you for taking the time and offering such great comments. I will have to mess around with my pp program to see if I can darken the image as you suggest. I may have to google Harold Davis or better yet stop by the library and see if is available. Thanks again.