Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 6 Likes Search this Thread
02-24-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
HDR Landscape
Lens: 10-20mm Sigma Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Provincetown, MA ISO: 100 Aperture: F16 

Working on HDR landscapes this was a 7 frame shot, looking to improve

Attached Images

02-24-2013, 02:15 PM - 1 Like   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am wondering what ev steps you took between images. 7 is way (way) too many. 5 would be the most, 3 at ev steps at 1.5 should be enough. I do like the shot, but I wish the perspective was a little more in line with a natural line of sight (I know 10 mm is pretty wide, but it would be a bit more pleasing to the eye if the railing and the steel beam were more in line.
Think about shooting lower, including more of the stairs in your shot. The sky will still be a large part of your composition. Not sure what HDR processing software you're using (Photomatix, PS), but cycle through auto settings then start from where you really like the results. Also, the halo effect really pushes any dust on your sensor to the point of distraction. I would think of cleaning that up in the individual files before merging (there is a dust stain right in the horizon above the dunes and there is another one in the upper left in the clouds; they definitely both need to go). As a fellow Cape Codder (North Eastham, about a half hour up on 6 from P-Town) it's always great to see anything from such a beautiful place
02-24-2013, 03:19 PM - 1 Like   #3
Inactive Account

Lovely photo. I like how the wood on the right and rust on the left really grabs the attention here.
I wish i could see more of that old wooden house over there! Nothing special about the beach/water...
02-25-2013, 01:08 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Nice image, and I like that you didn't go overboard on the HDR processing. I'd remove the two blurred birds if it were me.

02-25-2013, 10:25 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Nice picture as I am a fan of HDR. Not sure if your sensor is dirty or it might be birds, but try and get rid of it! Other wise, I like it and a B/W might also do the trick.
02-26-2013, 11:25 AM - 1 Like   #6

I have to ask, was HDR really necessary for this photo? You definitely didn't overdo it, but it looks like a sunny day at the beach. Personally, I think having some darker areas/shadows wouldn't have been so bad and would have helped make the photo more dramatic. You would have also had a much more natural looking sky.

But I wasn't there and these are just my opinions. I would love to see a non hdr version of this though.
02-26-2013, 06:01 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by csmoore Quote
I have to ask, was HDR really necessary for this photo? You definitely didn't overdo it, but it looks like a sunny day at the beach. Personally, I think having some darker areas/shadows wouldn't have been so bad and would have helped make the photo more dramatic. You would have also had a much more natural looking sky.

But I wasn't there and these are just my opinions. I would love to see a non hdr version of this though.
This was the edited non hdr of the 7

Attached Images

02-26-2013, 07:22 PM - 1 Like   #8

I prefer this 100% to be honest. Wow. Nice shot.
02-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AzureC Quote
This was the edited non hdr of the 7
Just for the fun of it - added a bit of fake drama to it.

Last edited by wildman; 03-16-2013 at 05:43 AM.