Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-02-2013, 11:38 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Daisy the Pitbull
Lens: FA 50mm f1.4 Camera: K5 Photo Location: Columbia, Maryland ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F2.8 

One of my dogs on a winter walk. I sharpened a bit using Lightroom 4 although image probably did not need it. I am trying out my new prime lens. Comments welcome and appreciated.

Thanks!

Brent

Attached Images

03-02-2013, 02:49 PM   #2

Nice shot!

My first reaction was that it was perhaps too centrally framed but looking at it for a little while i think it works fine this way because the body of the dog off centers the frame and balances it out.

Minor criticisms:

I think I would have liked to have seen a little more DOF on the face of the dog. The focal plane appears to be right between the eyes and both eyes are slightly out of focus his rear ear is completely out of focus. The nose is out of focus.

Also the bokeh in the background is the nice kind of bokeh, but just seems a little too blurry to me would do better with bigger shapes IMHO

So I'd dial it up a notch f/4-ish and increase ISO mainly for the facial features otherwise to see what happens with the bokeh does your new lens still give you those nice looking butter pools at f/4?

Best,

-Q
03-03-2013, 06:10 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to Pentaxforums.com!
Although I like the image as presented:
• You might try cropping a bit from the left.
• If your software allows selective sharpening, you might try it with the eye on the left.
I respect qleak's opinion, but I am quite happy with the bokeh as presented.
Best wishes, and I look forward to seeing more of your photographs.
03-04-2013, 08:51 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks!

Thank you very much for the replies! I did not know I could pull off such effects with a lens. I do agree, Q, that I need to experiment with how much of the Bokeh in the background will be sacrificed with increasing f stop to get more of the face in focus. I was shooting for the "near eye" but missed the mark as you both pointed out. I will perform the cropping as suggested. The proper centering of the portrait subject is a common problem for me. I will work on it

She is really a fun subject to photograph. Looks serious, but is really a clown. Thanks again for the very helpful comments, suggestions, and compliments!

Brent

03-05-2013, 08:20 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
What a beautiful girl!!!!!!!!!! Love the pic, I am envious of your lens!
03-06-2013, 09:30 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you very much!!!

Brent