Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-08-2013, 07:54 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Winds of time
Lens: standard Camera: Optio W90 Photo Location: Racine ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/200s Aperture: F4.7 

Drove past an old farm and saw some cool shots.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX Optio W90  Photo 
03-09-2013, 12:56 PM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice angle for this shot and the sky is a beautiful colour,like this,regards
03-09-2013, 11:19 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stone12 Quote
Nice angle for this shot and the sky is a beautiful colour,like this,regards
Thank you
03-13-2013, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum
This is kinda cool. I like how the colour of the trees & the windmill are all very similar shades. Makes the windmill look more organic, as though it's more akin to the trees & less of a manmade thing. There's a large empty blue patch on the left which feels to me at least as though it balances the busier area of branches. And, the lines of the branches lead your eye around all different directions within the frame. One could nitpick about composition & moving the windmill a bit to be on a third-line, but I think it's ok as is.

03-14-2013, 09:52 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Welcome to the forum
This is kinda cool. I like how the colour of the trees & the windmill are all very similar shades. Makes the windmill look more organic, as though it's more akin to the trees & less of a manmade thing. There's a large empty blue patch on the left which feels to me at least as though it balances the busier area of branches. And, the lines of the branches lead your eye around all different directions within the frame. One could nitpick about composition & moving the windmill a bit to be on a third-line, but I think it's ok as is.
Thank you!
You are referring to the thirds rule?I kinda see that stuff after the fact at this point. I know it's more of a discipline .I hope to get that with experience.
03-14-2013, 02:37 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Yes, just imagine a tic-tac-toe grid across your frame. "Technically", points of interest should be on the intersections of the lines, & horizons or other lines in the photo should be along the grid lines. Technically. However, "technically" one should write in complete sentences too, & many great authors use fragments to great effect. So I think that sometimes it's perfectly ok to break the rules; sometimes a picture will just work better with a different composition than the "rule". There are probably some good basic photography books dealing with composition in any library, and reams of stuff online. I think one does need to have a basic understanding of the rules of composition -- if only so you know which ones you're breaking
Keep shooting & have fun.