Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Candid
Lens: SMC 55 f1.8 Camera: K-5 ii 

I'm actually quite proud of this picture of my friend Eric. The room was very dark and I was far enough back that he didn't notice that I was photographing him, which I think made it a more natural picture. I can't swear to it, but the aperture was almost certainly 1.8. I uploaded a less sucessful picture here that was taken on the same night and learned from you all that the UV filter was causing me some problems (I've since taken it off). Also I have a hood for this lens, but it wasn't on the camera that night, shame on me.

So, as pleased as I am with how this turned out, I'm posting it for critique. This is exactly the type of photo that I would like to get really good at taking, so it won't spoil my joy for those of you with perspective to coach me through what I could have done better here.

I'll add on a personal note that my friend has been fighting prostate cancer this year and though we don't plan on losing him, it makes the picture much more special for all of us, because it does capture something about his nature that those of us who know him can recognize.

By the way, I did a tiny bit of post processing on this and it would be hard to say now, exactly what it was. Very little, but it's not virgin.

Last edited by troika; 03-09-2013 at 08:47 PM.
03-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
nice capture
03-09-2013, 12:16 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
That is a sweet capture of a friend. I could tell from the color that you used an old lens.

Technically it is on the soft side, so on a screen it will look just fine, but printed it may be a bit mushy. If this is the kind of photography you favor, I recommend you learn how to use a flash. It will allow you greater DOF and a faster capture ability.

M