Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 03:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Too Busy or Not Too Busy?
Lens: FA 80-320 Camera: K5 Photo Location: backyard NSW Australia ISO: 800 Shutter Speed: 1/250s Aperture: F13.5 

More Lorikeets, the first one the group of birds was minimal PP touch saturation, contrast, sharpening and noise. need some opinion on the PP and whether the photo is appealling or as the title suggests to Busy for the Eye.

The Second shot single bird is Cropped mildy and much the same as above PP. Is the PP too much or not and is the foregorund too distracting or not?

All opinions appreciated. Thank you for Looking.

Attached Images

03-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Hi

# 1What a nice collection of birds. It is certainly is busy. Also the lower 3 birds are unfortunately facing away or cropped. I feel the photo is also underexposed. A difficult assignment with so many subjects and shooting up into a bright sky.

#2 I think the composition is just great. No problem at all with the foreground. I would be tempted to brighten it up a touch though.
03-11-2013, 09:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Site Supporter

A little busy.....but #2 is a winner, just needs a little more light. The bokeh is very nice and with a little selective lighting, it could shine!

My quick work, you could no doubt do even better. Aren't they beautiful birds!

Attachment 163076

Best Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 11-10-2013 at 09:17 AM.
03-11-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Cheers, Bruce Clark, the first shot was hectic at the time i got more than the one shot of the group, may have to re visit shots or maybe the birds will be back this afternoon, they are really giving the trees are caning, some pruning of the trees in winter might help. Not complaining it is easy access to interesting subject.

Gooday Rupert, how did you Brighten the second shot? If you could let me know, the software I have is Iphoto and the Pentax supplied Utility (Looking for other Software and Tips) , your PP on the second brightened it up nicely, I did not realise it was too dark and i can now see the difference. These Lorikeets are aptly named Rainbow Lorikeets, very colourful.

Regards and thank you for your assistance.

03-13-2013, 10:06 PM   #5

It looks to me like you used fill flash on the second shot, am I correct?
03-14-2013, 02:36 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
mizupsi, you are correct, i was about 3 metres away, on the shady side of the tree, late evening, tried both flash and compensation. The compensation was not enough at 1 stop. The flash was the camera flash straight on subject, being outdoors toned down the flash (no bounce off walls etc), you can pick the flash in the eye. Also was using the amatuers best photography aid, I was having a beer.
03-14-2013, 06:32 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gmans.....I took it into Elements and used a plug-in called Light Machine, which lets you do very selective lighting. It's one of my most used plug-ins. There is a stand alone version too. The Plugin Site - Plugins for Photoshop, Lightroom, Elements, Paint Shop Pro, Corel, After Effects, Premiere and more
I have a couple of dozen plug-ins for Elements, and they are all super handy at times. Most are free, and none are very expensive, but I couldn't live without them!

You are fortunate to have such beautiful birds to shoot!
Regards!
03-15-2013, 02:45 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thank you Rupert, the software tip is very much appreciated. your PP version looks great. If you want to work your skills on this shot, please do so. The only thing i have done is crop and convert from raw with camera settings to JPG, the software i have can not rectify the shine on his beak and shoulder . if you wish it is your copy to do as you wish.

yes have been lucky with these colourful characters at the backdoor.

cheers

Glenn

Attached Images

03-15-2013, 03:38 PM   #9

I thought so; It definitely has that flash-effect.If you get a chance to shoot these birds again, I think if there was any way, try to work with the available light, or if possible, flash from a different angle, instead of dead-on from camera. The texture of the feathers, as well as the colours of the plumage would look much better, in my opinion.
03-15-2013, 05:35 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
mizupsi, yes your right, flash fill should be muffled or bounced. thanks for the advice.
03-16-2013, 11:45 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Gmans...Here is a quick touch-up, but not necessarily as good as what a good processor might do. Shooting with fill flash is difficult, it takes some real skill (that I don't have) or some really good luck...which I get sometimes!

We don't have all day with wildlife to view a shot on the monitor, go back and adjust and try again, so we get what we can....and that most always beats nothing at all!

Attachment 163679

Best Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 11-10-2013 at 09:17 AM.
03-16-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So true Rupert, regarding the flash. cheers.