Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
03-19-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Layering in Photoshop
Lens: various FA lenses Camera: K5 Photo Location: Bellingham, WA Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F9.5 

My first attempt at combining two photos into one. I took the first at a fast shutter speed to freeze the boat. The second photo was a long exposure to capture the clouds. What do you think? Any suggestions on how I can improve this image.

Attached Images

03-20-2013, 12:30 AM   #2

Hey, that looks great! Though I think a bit too much halo around the ship.
03-20-2013, 07:38 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
My first attempt at combining two photos into one. I took the first at a fast shutter speed to freeze the boat. The second photo was a long exposure to capture the clouds. What do you think? Any suggestions on how I can improve this image.
Good job. It seems the halo is most noticeable around the radar(?) unit on the cabin top. I have not tried combining multiple shots in this way but I now want to give it a try.
03-20-2013, 10:26 AM   #4
Pentaxian

I can't see the haloing on my crappy work laptop but here is a great tutorial for fixing halos when you see them.

Sharpening Halos And How To Hide Them - Tutorials

Tim

03-20-2013, 02:44 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I do not find the halo that bad, hadn't even noticed it until I read the replies. But you should crop it a bit more, on the right side there is some distracting structure. Don't know what it is, but it is too orange
03-21-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What you are seeing is the airfilled plastic ball that is used to mark the end of a gillnet, often called a "Scotchman' by West Coast Canadian fishers. Gillnets themselves can be seen piled on the adjacent dock. To me it fits very well because I know gillnetting (my grandfather had a gillneter we kids used to work on) but I can see where the colour is at odds with the rest of the frame.

Jack
03-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
"Scotchman'
If your talking about us, it's usually spelt Scotsman, does sound kinda similar I'll give you that.

Yours is used at the bar, as in gimme a Scotch, man.

03-21-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm only four generations removed from Scotland but that is sufficient breathing room for lots of dialect modifications
03-21-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
If your talking about us, it's usually spelt Scotsman, does sound kinda similar I'll give you that.

Yours is used at the bar, as in gimme a Scotch, man.
You're not saying that there is a difference, are you? At least, in my experience (I have a few Scottish friends), they're indissociable...
03-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Great shot, great processing. The halo is so slight I would have never noticed it, and doubt it would show in a print. It has a HDR look, but is so well done it just pops out without looking "cooked".
I would clone out the orange on the right...it's not adding to the shot, and is a slight distraction.

Bottom line....excellent work! Keep at it, you apparently have some real talent in this area.

Regards!
03-25-2013, 03:13 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
What you are seeing is the airfilled plastic ball that is used to mark the end of a gillnet, often called a "Scotchman' by West Coast Canadian fishers. Gillnets themselves can be seen piled on the adjacent dock. To me it fits very well because I know gillnetting (my grandfather had a gillneter we kids used to work on) but I can see where the colour is at odds with the rest of the frame.

Jack
And this is where you made in my opinion the biggest mistake in this photo.
You know it is a airfilled ball. If you shot it for you, it is fine as you know what it is. But when showing it too people, do not assume then know what things like that are. Assume that they do not know. It is very easy to make that mistake, and leave something there because you know it belongs (we all do it, I get enough comments at my photoclub also why is that doing there, why didn't you crop it out).

And that is my only comment, as I do not know what it is (now I do obviously) it is distracting, therefore cropping woudl make a better composition in my opinion.

But all said, I do like the sky and boat. it fits very well together color, tones etc. a very nice shot
03-28-2013, 11:34 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mizupsi Quote
Hey, that looks great! Though I think a bit too much halo around the ship.
QuoteOriginally posted by atupdate Quote
I can't see the haloing on my crappy work laptop but here is a great tutorial for fixing halos when you see them.

Sharpening Halos And How To Hide Them - Tutorials

Tim
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
I do not find the halo that bad, hadn't even noticed it until I read the replies. But you should crop it a bit more, on the right side there is some distracting structure. Don't know what it is, but it is too orange
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Great shot, great processing. The halo is so slight I would have never noticed it, and doubt it would show in a print. It has a HDR look, but is so well done it just pops out without looking "cooked".
I would clone out the orange on the right...it's not adding to the shot, and is a slight distraction.

Bottom line....excellent work! Keep at it, you apparently have some real talent in this area.

Regards!
QuoteOriginally posted by Macario Quote
And this is where you made in my opinion the biggest mistake in this photo.
You know it is a airfilled ball. If you shot it for you, it is fine as you know what it is. But when showing it too people, do not assume then know what things like that are. Assume that they do not know. It is very easy to make that mistake, and leave something there because you know it belongs (we all do it, I get enough comments at my photoclub also why is that doing there, why didn't you crop it out).

And that is my only comment, as I do not know what it is (now I do obviously) it is distracting, therefore cropping woudl make a better composition in my opinion.

But all said, I do like the sky and boat. it fits very well together color, tones etc. a very nice shot
Thank you for all your suggestions. Here is an updated photo.
Attached Images

03-29-2013, 09:42 AM   #13
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
Thank you for all your suggestions. Here is an updated photo.
Print it. Very nice job.

Tim
03-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I think you did really great, I always have problems with wobbling boats during long exposures at the sea, you really fixed that well
03-29-2013, 09:41 PM   #15

Beautiful shot. nuff said.