Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 08:00 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Remastered Cruising Key West
Lens: DA* 300 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Mallory Square 

The first shot is the original with some contrast added to the sky. I also tried to lighten the water a bit and also the dark part of the boat (not successful there - added too much noise.) Sadly, I didn't have an image with the entire railing on top of the ship.
The second shot is a sepia tone of the first one and the third is a B&W version of the same shot.
Please let me know if any of these techniques helped or if I should go back to the drawing board.

Last edited by slowpez; 04-01-2013 at 08:32 AM.
03-24-2013, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the second one with the sepia. Especially the effect it has on the ship bow. Tho it does seem to brighten the water in the lower right even more than the other two. You also seem to have some dirt on your sensor. Almost centered between the two sailing ships and just to the left and above of the dark spot that I assume is a bird above the right ship . Personally I would clone both the bird and dirt out leaving just the one lower flying bird.
03-24-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
I like the second one with the sepia. Especially the effect it has on the ship bow. Tho it does seem to brighten the water in the lower right even more than the other two. You also seem to have some dirt on your sensor. Almost centered between the two sailing ships and just to the left and above of the dark spot that I assume is a bird above the right ship . Personally I would clone both the bird and dirt out leaving just the one lower flying bird.
Thanks for your input. Actually both spots are birds. There were lots of them flying around in the distance. I managed to miss the tiniest one I guess. Most of them look like dead pixels. I intentionally left the larger bird because, in my original post, someone liked it. I am going to try and tone down the light on the water in the sepia one. Again, I appreciate your help.
03-24-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I kind of like the first one the most, because it has the blue/yellow contrast going on. If anything, I would add more vibrance to the blue. What bothers me is the grey clouds (too low contrast?) and the cut ship (I would like to see a little more, not even the whole thing, but just a little more) but I understand that there isn't much you can do about this after the photo is taken. Sometimes the lighting and environment just don't allow us to take the kind of shot we want and no amount of processing can change that. You did good with the cards you were dealt, though. The ship really adds a dramatic twist to an otherwise classic seaside shot

03-24-2013, 10:20 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

In the clouds above the top bird is a spot I was talking about . It almost blends in with the clouds and is barely visible in the small versions,and worse in the other two. I downloaded it to photoshop {when I noticed it} so as to enlarge it to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me. There are a couple of others but you have to pixel peep to see them. It is worse in the original shot. It might be a bird but is almost perfectly round and translucent That is why I thought dirt.
With the water high light toned down just a little, I think It would look good framed and on a wall.
Pat
Attached Images

03-24-2013, 05:59 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
great, great image. #2 is my fav.
03-24-2013, 06:16 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
I kind of like the first one the most, because it has the blue/yellow contrast going on. If anything, I would add more vibrance to the blue. What bothers me is the grey clouds (too low contrast?) and the cut ship (I would like to see a little more, not even the whole thing, but just a little more) but I understand that there isn't much you can do about this after the photo is taken. Sometimes the lighting and environment just don't allow us to take the kind of shot we want and no amount of processing can change that. You did good with the cards you were dealt, though. The ship really adds a dramatic twist to an otherwise classic seaside shot
Not sure I have the skills to do much more to it but I will give it a try. Might be a good learning experience anyway. I really regret not getting more of the ship though but interestingly enough I have a couple with less of the ship. Go figure.

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
In the clouds above the top bird is a spot I was talking about . It almost blends in with the clouds and is barely visible in the small versions,and worse in the other two. I downloaded it to photoshop {when I noticed it} so as to enlarge it to make sure my eyes were not playing tricks on me. There are a couple of others but you have to pixel peep to see them. It is worse in the original shot. It might be a bird but is almost perfectly round and translucent That is why I thought dirt.
With the water high light toned down just a little, I think It would look good framed and on a wall.
Pat
Thanks Pat. Your eyes aren't playing tricks but the spot does have wings. My theory though is, if it isn't obvious it may as well be a blob of dirt because it will leave the same impression. I will go back and clean it up and I appreciate your pointing it out. Sometimes I look at things but only see what I knew to be there and I have to learn to see what other people will see. Maybe I can try to burn the water a little more? For some reason that never looks natural to me so I think I am doing something wrong. I am wondering if I can clone the water from the surrounding area at maybe 10% saturation and it would tone it down without it looking too artificial, Again, I appreciate your help.

QuoteOriginally posted by causey Quote
great, great image. #2 is my fav.
Thanks causey.

03-26-2013, 12:40 PM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

I like the image.
In version 1, I like the tone of the ship in the foreground. Otherwise, I prefer versions 2 and 3. Perhaps that's because the vessels in the background appear sharper — although they probably aren't.
Best wishes.
03-26-2013, 03:29 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by smf Quote
I like the image.
In version 1, I like the tone of the ship in the foreground. Otherwise, I prefer versions 2 and 3. Perhaps that's because the vessels in the background appear sharper — although they probably aren't.
Best wishes.
Thanks, see what you mean about the smaller ships. I used the first one to do the conversions on the other two but PP works in mysterious ways some times.
03-26-2013, 06:38 PM   #10
Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

The first one is, in my opinion, the strongest, though the highlights on the water (on the right) are a little blown out and kind of distract from the dramatic contrast you have going on between the ship and the little boats. Frankly, the original was nicer in that regard. And as far as noise -- a little noise never hurt anyone.
03-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tlong423 Quote
The first one is, in my opinion, the strongest, though the highlights on the water (on the right) are a little blown out and kind of distract from the dramatic contrast you have going on between the ship and the little boats. Frankly, the original was nicer in that regard. And as far as noise -- a little noise never hurt anyone.
Thanks for the comments. I appreciate your help. I am going to try and tone down those highlights. Learning a lot about PP through this process; mostly that I don't know anything about it.