Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 08:44 AM   #1
Forum Member

Viking at ISO 25600
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Piacenza, Italy ISO: 25600 Shutter Speed: 1/350s Aperture: F5.8 

This picture was shot indoor at a historical reinactment expo. The Viking here was moving about real fast as he was fencing against three of his mates in an enclosed area. Please comment !

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-24-2013, 10:07 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Oh man, I have to say, this is one of the few occasions where noise (caused by high ISO) really works with the photo. Its also great that you got so up close, that way the photo is intimate, but still conveys all the important info (the shield, the hair style). You might want to fiddle with the white balance a little though, so his teeth don't look as green? Oh, and it looks like there is a zombie right behind him Its hard to watch out for photo bombers in a place like that, though
03-24-2013, 01:39 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
and it looks like there is a zombie right behind him Its hard to watch out for photo bombers in a place like that, though
LOL I did not notice the zombie yes you are right I should fix the green-ness I did not notice it was so bad

Edit: I'm actually impressed by how bokeh still looks nice with all that grain in it

Last edited by R.W.G.; 03-24-2013 at 01:52 PM.
03-27-2013, 05:08 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I would crop out most of the empty space to the left, make it a vertical image. Maybe B&W? Grain works better that way I feel.

I'm impressed that it's still perfectly usable at such a high ISO!

03-27-2013, 07:23 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Give it a try with black and white only, or a duo/tri/quadtone. The grain is fine but the colours seem very yellowy-green. Perhaps redefine the black point and the white point?

Lots of potential, but it needs a bit of work.

EDIT: Love the teeth - nice and gritty!
03-27-2013, 07:38 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
I would crop out most of the empty space to the left, make it a vertical image.
I respecfully disagree. I tried looking at the picture with the other half cut off, and the tension in the picture just disappears. The way it is now, the empty space suggests he's facing an opponent, teeth bared, ready for combat. When you crop, it just looks like he's angrily staring into space.

That's just my opinion, though. Try it both ways, and see which you like better. I agree that the white balance needs a little tweaking.

Otherwise, great work! I love the way you've captured his fierce expression. I don't think a lot of people realize how hard it is to capture the emotion you want instead of a derp face.
03-27-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I agree with making it black/white. That would solve your white balance issue, allow you to increase the brightness, and fiddle with the noise to look good.

03-27-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I respecfully disagree. I tried looking at the picture with the other half cut off, and the tension in the picture just disappears. The way it is now, the empty space suggests he's facing an opponent, teeth bared, ready for combat. When you crop, it just looks like he's angrily staring into space.
I didn't see any tension in the image. I personally saw people getting their costumes on in a dressing room That's why I would remove the left part, to remove the context and let the viewer decide.
03-27-2013, 08:57 AM   #9

I would have liked to see a different angle, maybe showing more of the fighters. All you see is a noisy photo of a guy at some sort of convention holding a shield. The people in the background really ruin it for me. I think this would have came out a lot nicer if you had a background to match the fighter appropriately instead of just random people standing around.
03-28-2013, 11:48 AM   #10
smf
Pentaxian

I agree that the people at left are a distraction.
04-04-2013, 06:30 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Would like to note that person on the back that looks like a zombie is actually holding a shield and you can see it. Also, I would like to point out that I could do a lot better at ancient fencing events when they are not indoor like this one. Really posted this picture to show how I can get a cool picture with my K-5 even when I set the ISO to "InsanE" to shoot at relatively high shutter speeds that allowed to capture this expression, which made my day that day at the historical reinactment expo. I also showed the picture to the Viking after he finished fighting and he was drinking mead with his buddies.

He was impressed by the picture he he
04-04-2013, 07:01 AM   #12
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
QuoteOriginally posted by R.W.G. Quote
zombie is actually holding a shield
So we're talking here a protected Zombie then, great news.