Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-29-2013, 12:57 AM - 1 Like   #1

girl with cigarette

from my first shots

03-29-2013, 02:26 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Nice unusual portrait /study. was it posed or "on the fly"?

it seems to my tired old eyes that the hair on the back of her head is sharp but the eyes are not? what aperture did you use? and where were you focused? was it spot single focus point or center weighted?
03-29-2013, 04:07 AM   #3
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Not sure about this one, I'd crop in hard on the left and make more of a portrait shot out of this.

Perhaps also adjust the exposure down a bit and see if it will sharpen up a bit more in PP.
03-29-2013, 04:46 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by adwb Quote
Nice unusual portrait /study. was it posed or "on the fly"?

it seems to my tired old eyes that the hair on the back of her head is sharp but the eyes are not? what aperture did you use? and where were you focused? was it spot single focus point or center weighted?
"on the fly"
aperture ~ 3,5 i can not remember
it was spot single focus

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Not sure about this one, I'd crop in hard on the left and make more of a portrait shot out of this.

Perhaps also adjust the exposure down a bit and see if it will sharpen up a bit more in PP.
thnx, i'll think about this

03-29-2013, 06:16 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I probably would crop it vertically (the cars are distracting), and level the horizon.
03-29-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I guess you could critique it all day and all night, but in the end, at least for me, it still ends up being a great shot. It has some elements that just all tend to fit together. I'd like to see a tight crop, but I think it might be better just left alone.
That's what I see, other views may vary......no doubt!

Regards!
03-30-2013, 08:28 AM   #7
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the background--but not the tilt.

03-30-2013, 08:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dms Quote
I like the background--but not the tilt.
That's what I'm talkin' bout' ! There are a zillion things wrong, add them all up and they = all right! I guess we all view things differently, don't we!

I'd print this large, and hang it in the appropriate spot, it's near perfect if hung in the right atmosphere.
Regards!
03-30-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Inactive Account

This photo would look great with the background suppressed or as a high key image.
03-30-2013, 12:02 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
This photo would look great with the background suppressed or as a high key image.
No no no! Girl in a parking lot, near an apartment building.....cigarette in mouth.....her look and her intentions, questionable, a mystery of sorts?
Girl with blurry background, no reference to her locale or intentions/agenda........no mystery, not all that interesting.

Regards!
03-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Nice shot! I agree with Rupert.
03-30-2013, 12:47 PM   #12
dms
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A suggestion--if you are unsure--maybe it's a masterpiece--and maybe something needs fixing. Well print it and place it where you will be forced to look at it all the time! With paintings the artist often has his/her works "hanging around" for years deciding whether it's done or not.
03-30-2013, 01:59 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
No no no! Girl in a parking lot, near an apartment building.....cigarette in mouth.....her look and her intentions, questionable, a mystery of sorts?
Girl with blurry background, no reference to her locale or intentions/agenda........no mystery, not all that interesting.

Regards!
What a wonderful summary of this image! Just a really fine environmental capture, imperfections and all, there is some punky attitude to it all that I really enjoy. Only possible tweak is shift the color balance a bit away from blue.

M
03-30-2013, 02:17 PM   #14
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote

Regards!
For me it's not about the mystery - suspense for what could be or could have been isn't intriguing, it's about what is and will be. Perhaps it's age showing or perhaps my hard engineering perceptions.

I prefer to admire the clean lines and structure of her face with her sense of style (aka the haircut) - unencumbered by the distractions of a cluttered background.
03-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Rob22315 Quote
it's not about the mystery - suspense for what could be or could have been isn't intriguing
All the things that make it a great shot...not important? Are you an engineer?

Regards!