Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-30-2013, 05:28 PM - 1 Like   #1

Photos: Gallery
Park Lake Park Fountain
Lens: Quantaray 100-300 1:4.5~6.7 Camera: Pentax K100D Photo Location: Park Lake Park, Orlando, Florida ISO: 200 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F6.7 

Photo was taken at 5:40pm while visiting Park Lake Park in Orlando, Florida. The large building in the background is a church.
Camera used is my Pentax K100D. The lens is my Quantaray for Pentax AF 100-300mm 1:4.5~6.7.
The shutter speed was 1/500 Aperture was F6.7 ISO was 200 Focal length was 100mm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
03-30-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Veteran Member

How could I make this a better picture? Move to the right of the image to separate the water fountain from interesting church in the background. Try not to place your subjects, water fountain and church, in the middle of the image. Lastly, if you had a tripod, consider using a lower ISO and slower shutter speed to make the water blurry. My 2 cents.
03-30-2013, 08:12 PM   #3

Original Poster
The photo was taken at a lake that is for the most part, round-ish. Would you suggest that I move sufficiently to the right (or left) so that the red brick domed church is not in the photo? Or perhaps move sufficiently to put the central jet of the fountain in the left third and the church in the right third of the image? Or would you suggest that I move to shoot from far enough to the right that the red brick domed church is completely out of the photo?

I do have a tripod and monopod but did not bring either with me when I was visiting Park Lake Park today. I was trying to shoot at a high shutter speed to freeze the water to capture the "globs" of water falling from the fountains. I'll try going the opposite way to blur the water. Suggestions as to ISO and shutter speed?
03-30-2013, 11:39 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
The photo was taken at a lake that is for the most part, round-ish. Would you suggest that I move sufficiently to the right (or left) so that the red brick domed church is not in the photo? Or perhaps move sufficiently to put the central jet of the fountain in the left third and the church in the right third of the image? Or would you suggest that I move to shoot from far enough to the right that the red brick domed church is completely out of the photo?

I do have a tripod and monopod but did not bring either with me when I was visiting Park Lake Park today. I was trying to shoot at a high shutter speed to freeze the water to capture the "globs" of water falling from the fountains. I'll try going the opposite way to blur the water. Suggestions as to ISO and shutter speed?
It would be worth while to work the scene by taking this composition at various locations. Try not to place your main subject in the middle of the frame (rule of 1/3). The church is beautiful, I would try to include it in the background.

Making the water blurry is trial and error. I would use the lowest ISO and use a f-stop of 11 or greater. If you have a solid neutral density filter, you can also put it on your lens to increase the exposure time. Start with a 1 second exposure, for example. If the water is not blurry enough, increase the exposure time, by increasing your f-stop ( to f13 or f22) or add a ND filter. More importantly, don't be in a hurry. Have fun!

04-01-2013, 03:13 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Be more deliberate in where you place the elements of your picture. The two main items of interest are bumping into each other and there's nothing of interest in the whole left half. I agree you could have walked say 10m to your left or right and got a more interesting pic.
04-01-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think the trees in the middle ground would have obscured the church, moving left or right maybe was not an option, unless you had cherry picker in your kit.
04-01-2013, 06:25 PM   #7

Original Poster
That red brick domed building is about a quarter to half mile away actually!! I believe it is actually a rotunda building between two buildings for the Lake Highland Precatory School! I have included a yahoo maps link below that allows one to get a perspective of the relative distances involved in this photo. I was standing by the south bank of Park Lake just off Colonial Drive in Orlando. The red brick domed building is north of the football field / track which is north of the lake. I was also contending with trees overhead.

Yahoo! Maps, Driving Directions, and Traffic
04-06-2013, 04:40 PM   #8

Original Poster
I revisited Park Lake Park today and took several photos looking to move the fountain and red brick domed building out of the center. I took this photo with a circular polarizer filter. The shutter speed was 1/500, ISO 200, F9.50. The photo was shot with the same 100-300mm lens on my K100D. The photo was taken earlier in the day, around 4:30pm.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K100D  Photo 
04-06-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The composition, the clouds and exposure are much better than the first photo. Well done!
04-06-2013, 05:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
I thank you very much!! May I ask do you think this photo might be good enough to submit for PEG?
04-08-2013, 06:12 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
I thank you very much!! May I ask do you think this photo might be good enough to submit for PEG?
Sorry, I do not know what PEG is.
04-08-2013, 08:59 AM   #12

Original Poster
The Pentax Exclusive Gallery