Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-02-2013, 09:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Silhouette
Lens: Fa 20mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Bellingham, WA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F22 

I intentionally added noise and tinted the image. What do you think?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-02-2013, 09:27 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hm, it has a very stylized look, due to the processing. The composition and tones are nice, but I personally might like to see a little less noise/grain. Though, for a print it might still work out. Its a really fine photo. Evokes a certain mood. I'm surprised the branches stayed so sharp given the long exposure. Thanks for sharing
04-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm not so sure about the treatment here. Seen in color, without the grain, I can imagine it on a postcard or a motivational poster. To me, the subject is clear, pleasant, and relaxing.

The grain, vignetting, and general darkness of the treatment you applied is hard-edged and foreboding. The grain is battling with the smoothness you worked so hard to get with that long exposure. It would seem more at home in an illustration of urban decay, with graffiti on crumbling concrete and broken windows. It looks more like a frame from a horror movie trailer.

It's certainly unique, but I'm not sure if bringing two vastly different moods together is a flash of artistic brilliance, or just confusing.

Just my 2. Very cool, just... confusing.
04-02-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I'm not so sure about the treatment here. Seen in color, without the grain, I can imagine it on a postcard or a motivational poster. To me, the subject is clear, pleasant, and relaxing.

The grain, vignetting, and general darkness of the treatment you applied is hard-edged and foreboding. The grain is battling with the smoothness you worked so hard to get with that long exposure. It would seem more at home in an illustration of urban decay, with graffiti on crumbling concrete and broken windows. It looks more like a frame from a horror movie trailer.

It's certainly unique, but I'm not sure if bringing two vastly different moods together is a flash of artistic brilliance, or just confusing.

Just my 2. Very cool, just... confusing.
Excellent points. Here is the image before I added the noise and tint.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-02-2013, 10:04 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Without the grain the image looks more serene. The noise introduces a lot of drama.
In the end is what you prefer and in what context you are planning to use it ... or what message you are trying to send out.

One suggestion that I would have is to give the tree more room to breathe? Seems cropped a little too tight at the top and right side.

Last edited by mrNewt; 04-02-2013 at 10:13 AM.
04-02-2013, 10:09 AM   #6
Pentaxian

I like that a lot better. Moody, but not creepy. I can understand a moody tree beside the lake, but the creepy grain felt forced. The tint was kinda cool, though. I light how your copyright blends in. That was what made me think "horror movie" at first, like the grey text "but a new horror awaits as the sun sets..." drifting across the grainy, shifty image.

I thought you had added vignetting, but I guess the sky just happens to be darker at the corners of the frame? There's no way you'd get vignetting from the lens at f/22.

I'm not confused about the image anymore. I think it's best not to fight the smooth clouds and water. Great work!
04-02-2013, 11:18 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I also like it better without the noise.
04-02-2013, 04:47 PM   #8
smf
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Here's another vote for the absence of noise. Nice image.

04-03-2013, 10:37 AM   #9

Photos: Gallery
Nice picture

I like your picture a lot, and also prefer the second version.
04-04-2013, 12:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I suppose it all comes down to what you are trying to communicate after all :P

I like the grainy one. I didn't know why until scratchpaddy unpacked it for me tho. That tension makes it interesting for me. It provides a larger scope for subjective thought to be projected on to it :P But if you want a pretty picture... Do what they said :P