Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Multi exposure
Lens: 10-20mm Sigma Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: ashby MA ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/4s Aperture: F16 

Multiple exposure shots fused to bring out the different features of the scene.
Small aperature to capture star effect on sun as well as sun beams passing through the mist from the waterfall. the mist drops caused the beams to become rainbows naturally, the water was rushing very fast and was able to capture this moving as well, looking to improve all critiques are appreciated thanks

Attached Images

04-03-2013, 08:17 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure the scene felt real brisk and energetic standing there amid the cold, fast running stream.

There are a couple of major issues with both images. The resulting lens flare and artifacts from the exposure fusion really interferes in a negative way with the natural environment of the location.

Secondly, even if the effects were gone, the framing of the scene seems awkward. It feels claustrophobic, like you are trying to squeeze too much into the viewfinder. Too long a focal length I'd say. Somehow the rocks seem to compete with the waterfall instead of holding together as a singular place.

Looks like a great place though.

M
04-04-2013, 12:24 PM - 1 Like   #3

Looks like great place. Did you use filter? Lens flare works nicely in some pictures but here I think it's bit distracting. I have older screwdrive version of 10-20mm sigma and it doesn't flare that "badly" naturally. Also what bothers me is the blacks, those seem to be way underexposed. I know it's difficult scene, but K-5 should be able to handle that, especially if multiple exposures are used. I would bet you used JPG, as RAW would give more room in lower end (and would also give opportunity to get some details out of shadows). Now blacks seem too black (no details/tones at all).

Composition could have also been better IMO as now the log cuts picture half in the first picture and it's bit hard to recognize the subject (is it the log, the waterfall, the rocks or the sun?). Second is better, I may have composed the biggest part of the waterfall in the golden ratio. The first one looks a bit "unbalanced" and "restless" in my eye. The second one looks bit "restless" (mostly because of underexposed blacks, distracting lens flare and bit weird greens) but overall is quite good.

But best of it all is that seems like you have found a great place. If possible, I suggest going there again and experimenting bit more. Different angles, maybe also different time of day if possible, trying to expose blacks bit better etc. Have fun. I am no pro, just a hobbyist and here are my 2 cents
04-04-2013, 03:43 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Did a bit more editing on a few others from this same day I was happier with this one that had no lens flare

Attached Images