Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-03-2013, 04:17 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Water Bokeh
Lens: SMC-M 135mm F/3.5 Camera: Pentax K-5 Photo Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands ISO: 80 

Yesterday I was unable to create the photo I wanted. Good start eh The light on some flowers in my apartment was very nice and I decided to take a shot. Looking trough the lens I noticed a very restless but enchanting bokeh. Nothing I had ever seen before. Yet, I was unable to transfer this into a stunning photo and ended up with these two shots below.

That's why - for the first time ever - I used the video function on my K-5! I put the result on youtube:
(don't forget to set the quality to 720p). How could I have grasped this 'water bokeh' in a still picture?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-03-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I often hate abstract pix; it's very subjective for me. I think the first one is kinda cool though. It reminds me a bit of the tabletop photos my mom used to do; sometimes she shot through ripple glass or something similar to make an abstract effect. I'm less crazy about the b&w one. Makes me think too much of nighttime/headlights.
In the video I thought, when the flowers were in focus, that you could have tried a reflector to light them up a bit more, or a very diluted fill flash (?... I hardly ever shoot with flash so am not the one to advise on that). But I actually think you did do something cool with the first photo & I like the way the sparklies & the flowers blend together & there is a similarity in the shapes of the little "bits" of each.

Last edited by Alliecat; 04-05-2013 at 11:23 AM.
04-04-2013, 12:37 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I was scared because of the word bokeh being present in the title, but the BW image I dig. It's ambiguous and pleasant (to me at least :P) I enjoy the curvature given from the "bokeh" which is mimicked by the height of the flowers from left to right. What is it telling me after that? not much :P
04-04-2013, 05:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Pretty cool abstracts - not sure why it would be freaky for some ... but I like it. The video is hypnotic in a way .
Well done I will say.