Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-06-2013, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #1

Porthole
Camera: k-5 

light, sharpening, eyes, iso 800...

04-06-2013, 08:29 AM   #2
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
I think it was in the Gremlins movies, where they said bright lights, bright lights.

I think we have some seriously over exposure/blown highlight issues going on here, IMHO too much to be described as an pleasing effect. It also would be impossible, to be able pull this image back in PP.

The composition I think is really strong and interesting, if you had an opportunity you go back and retake this shot using different exposure settings, it could become a real winner.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 04-06-2013 at 03:31 PM.
04-06-2013, 09:38 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I agree with ^^^. You really had a great picture opportunity but the exposure just doesn't do anything for me.
04-06-2013, 07:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I think this is one of the most provocative photos I've seen in this section in a long time. That heavy dichotomy between light and black really draws me in and KEEPS me there - which I think is the harder thing to do. Your subject has that thousand-yard-stare that intimates nothing...and everything. Bravo!

04-06-2013, 10:09 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yes, I agree. The duality of the face is completely removed in this ultra high contrast version and we are forced to deal with just one side of his personality. In this respect it is highly effective.

Jack
04-07-2013, 08:13 AM   #6

Original Poster
thanx, for comments
a little history about
We live in Russia, in Saint-Petersburg (although this is not essential). This guy - gay. And it shows to the public that part of his personality, which is not terrible. It's - white. This part does not exist. Window's behing - the society. Light - what people can see, cuz light contains information (or illusion). Most of it - hidden shadow, its you and I can see.
Sorry for my bad english, I hope to carry this could
04-14-2013, 07:38 AM   #7

Ansel Adams didn't much care for the term overexposure (or underexposure) because it implied that it was an error in calculating how to expose the photograph on the part of the photographer. I'm guessing this was intentional in this case, especially given your comments.

I like it because it breaks with the tradition of showing the light side of the face and clipping the shadow for the dichotomy of man type shots. I'm sure nearly every photographer has taken at least a few of these, but how many have thought to blow out the light side of the face and keep the dark side? It's a gutsy choice, will it be a failure in some peoples eyes? Sure.

Just remember what Garry Winogrand said "Great photography is always on the edge of failure"

My biggest criticism would be how centrally framed this is, I think you could have had a more interesting composure.

Best,

-Q

04-14-2013, 08:26 AM   #8
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

As a photo it has the flaws mentioned already.
As an image that is making a strong statement it works fairly well although I think you could have made it just a tad less blown out and it would have worked better. I would have like to have seen just a little bit more of his right eye.
04-14-2013, 08:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Too much light for me and could've left out the back background to the right of the subject.
04-15-2013, 10:19 AM   #10
Inactive Account

It might be interesting to fool around with it as a B&W shot.
04-16-2013, 07:36 AM   #11

I don't think it's the overexposure as much as it is the overdone clarity/sharpness and saturated colors. Try toning that down maybe?
04-22-2013, 10:59 AM   #12
Veteran Member

A great abstract portrait with very good balance between light and dark.
This is where photography falls into art ... and as any art, people like it or not.

I like it just the way it is - don't change anything - well done!!! It really does tell a story ...
05-21-2013, 08:29 PM   #13
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If this is a still from a science fiction film, it may work. If it's not ... it doesn't.