Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-04-2008, 07:14 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Flower composition

I think this is the right location in the forum. I do think this is a great place to learn, look and ask.

We see a lot of flower pictures and more should be coming this spring. I have tried unsuccessfully submitting a few flower pictures to PPG and have studied some of the ones accepted there ,but can't seem to get what makes a good flower photograph?

I'm sure others on this site would like to get advise of how to do good compositions, color adjustments, DOF, etc. I'm thinking mostly the amateur photographer where we are taking pictures outdoors or of bouquets that we have in the house or office or even a botanical gardens where we have limited ability to do major adjustments to the lighting arrangements or the background.

I thought this was a good composition that did get rejected (which is okay, I understand the standards are high and not always clear) and we can use that to get a discussion going.

My ulterior motive is that my wife is a terrific gardener and I want to make a catalogue/portfolio of her flowers this summer.

Last edited by weatherwise2; 03-05-2008 at 06:43 AM. Reason: spelling
03-10-2008, 10:34 AM   #2
Inactive Account

I guess I am not much of a judge either 'cus I think it looks pretty darn good! I like the composition but If I was to change anything it would be to tone down the exposure a bit and selectively add saturation to the center green part.

The changes I made a very subtle - it really does look fine.

Something like this.

Last edited by J.Scott; 03-30-2009 at 03:27 AM.
03-11-2008, 09:32 PM   #3

First off, great shot and composition. The official gallery is completely subjective, so if your work gets turned down, don't take it so hard. They seem to only want extremely exotic-type images.

J. Scott offered some great tips, however, his edit did add a big of noise on the pink(er) parts of the overall image. You can avoid this simply by editing the photo differently, for the same effect. The only part that needed saturation was the center, and it looks like he did the whole image.

Keep up the good work!
03-11-2008, 09:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it is a beautiful flower shot. If I changed anything I'd like to see a bit more "breathing room" at the top of the crop. Very nice as is though for sure.

03-12-2008, 09:26 PM   #5
Veteran Member

That is amazing in a way it makes me want to it eat it.
03-14-2008, 10:32 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Pretty

I think it is a pretty pic
How does one go about submitting to PPG anyway?
Can't wait to see more of your wifes flowers