Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 11:39 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bought a Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 and love it
Lens: Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Rotterdam, Netherlands ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/1500s Aperture: F2.4 

Yesterday I picked up a Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 and today I took it out for a walk. I love it! I took this shot of a bicycle parked around the block. I am now thinking of a making a series out of this, so many beautiful details

Also, I now really want to replace my M-series with A-series. Manual focus is great, but using the "green button" really slows things down.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-07-2013, 03:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by vinni Quote
Yesterday I picked up a Pentax-A 50mm 1.7 and today I took it out for a walk. I love it! I took this shot of a bicycle parked around the block. I am now thinking of a making a series out of this, so many beautiful details

Also, I now really want to replace my M-series with A-series. Manual focus is great, but using the "green button" really slows things down.
Nice!! I have a FA 50 1.4 that I'm in love with too.
04-08-2013, 06:20 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
If you upgrade to an A lens think of going to the A50 1.4
You can get it between $80-$150 on Ebay.
I absolutely adore mine and it takes such beautiful photos.
The 1.4 f-stop gives you razor thin depth of field and when you hit it right, striking photos.
And your K5 can really take advantage of this lens.

Good luck.
04-08-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

...yeah. Interesting. As a cyclist I've considered doing shots like this myself; just never got round to it. Maybe more photos like this would motivate me The pale colour scheme works; the lines, especially of the tire, draw my eye right in to that tiny bit of the tire that's in focus, then the brakes. My only complaint is the round dark splotch on the left which kind of draws my attention.
I'd be interested in seeing more of your series.

04-13-2013, 04:17 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
...yeah. Interesting. As a cyclist I've considered doing shots like this myself; just never got round to it. Maybe more photos like this would motivate me The pale colour scheme works; the lines, especially of the tire, draw my eye right in to that tiny bit of the tire that's in focus, then the brakes. My only complaint is the round dark splotch on the left which kind of draws my attention.
I'd be interested in seeing more of your series.
Thanks! I agree on the distracting dark spot, maybe I should PS that one out. Although I like to keep my shots "pure". Until now I only have 3 shots of bicycle details, you can see them here 500px / Vincent van Kooten / Bicycle details Every shot was taken with a different lens (M50 F/1.4, FA 100 F/2.8 macro, A50 F/1.7), I should pick a fixed lens for this series to give them all the same kind of touch to it.
04-13-2013, 07:30 PM   #6

I just bought my K-30 about 6 weeks ago and the Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 was my first prime lens. It's been great, and because I liked it so much I just purchased a Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8 that came in this afternoon. Haven't gotten to do much with it beyond making sure it works, but I'll be going to a park tomorrow and should be able to take some shots.

I wish that there was a Pentax-A 85mm, it would really help with making this a series, but there's only the A* which is too pricy for me. The 100mm and 135mm are both reasonable, but 85mm would be a much better stepping stone.
04-13-2013, 08:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

...Until now I only have 3 shots of bicycle details, you can see them here 500px / Vincent van Kooten / Bicycle details Every shot was taken with a different lens (M50 F/1.4, FA 100 F/2.8 macro, A50 F/1.7), I should pick a fixed lens for this series to give them all the same kind of touch to it.
Hmm... I dunno. I think you could get a lot of different effects & different vantage points with the different lenses. Unless you're really keen on a uniform effect. Guess I'd have to see both styles to say which I might like better. I looked at your others. (Still not entirely sure where the first one is from, duh! Methinks it's a part I don't have.) It's a cool idea & I think a series of all the tiny (mostly ignored!) details of bicycle anatomy would be really interesting.
If it EVER gets warm enough to sit around outside, I just might try some too!

04-14-2013, 07:53 AM   #8
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Btw, just save you buying and selling a few times, just go for the SMC Pentax-A 50mm F1.2 now and save all the mucking about.

You know you want it, feed your LBA, it's calling.
04-19-2013, 07:13 PM   #9

How much money you pay for.Like the A50 1.7,they sell about $270 in china.
04-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #10

I got my A50 1.7 for $68 USD on eBay (plus $6 shipping).
04-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Like you, I have the M version of the 50mm that I got initially with my ME Super. Great lens, I would never part with it, but I wish it was the "A" version.
04-21-2013, 06:30 AM   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dboeren Quote
I just bought my K-30 about 6 weeks ago and the Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 was my first prime lens. It's been great, and because I liked it so much I just purchased a Pentax-A 28mm f/2.8 that came in this afternoon. Haven't gotten to do much with it beyond making sure it works, but I'll be going to a park tomorrow and should be able to take some shots.
How are the shots with the Pentax-A 28mm? I'd like to have one as well, my M 28mm is one of my favorite lenses for landscapes and city panoramas.
04-21-2013, 06:33 AM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
I looked at your others. (Still not entirely sure where the first one is from, duh! Methinks it's a part I don't have.) I
Eh, my 500px membership just expired which automatically deleted my set. I think this shot was the first one? 500px / Photo "Dynamo" by Vincent van Kooten It's a dynamo, you click on the wheel and generates power for the frond and backlight on the bike.
04-21-2013, 06:34 AM   #14

Original Poster
I got mine for 35 Euro on a local second hand website. Maybe it's cheap to get one from Japan?
04-21-2013, 03:27 PM   #15

How are the shots with the Pentax-A 28mm? I'd like to have one as well, my M 28mm is one of my favorite lenses for landscapes and city panoramas.
I like it. I don't have much to compare it to but I think it looks better than the 18-135mm WR lens at that length. Not quite as good as the A 50mm f/1.7 but still very good.