Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-07-2013, 04:54 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
first attempt at waterfall
Camera: K-r Photo Location: Leura Cascades ISO: 200 Aperture: F32 

This is my first attempt at shooting waterfalls.
I would appreciate any pointers that I can get.

Thank you in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
04-08-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
It appears the rocks in the foreground are over-exposed. The leafs on the left are also distracting. I would clip the image and retain the upper right portion.
04-08-2013, 05:03 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

Very nice — especially for a first attempt!
If it was my photo, I'd crop in a bit from the right and perhaps also from the left a bit. I might also try to somewhat darken part of the foreground. And you might want to see if you like a very shallow version of the photo in which you crop out all or almost all of the foreground rocks.
Best wishes, a belated welcome to Pentaxforums, and I'd enjoy seeing more of your photographs.
04-08-2013, 05:47 AM   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You'll find that if you want to take these sorts of photos at slow speed a neutral density filter will help. I was a bit surprised you bumped all the way up to F32 but kept the ISO at 200 rather than 100. A difficult composition because of the wide range between the well lit rocks and shadowy waterfall - probably a different time of day would have worked better. As others have noted a good start, and certainly an image good enough to play with a bit to make even better.

04-08-2013, 05:52 AM   #5
Pentaxian

+1 for different time of day. Magical shots need magical light... I have shot waterfalls close to mid day, but they wee almost completely covered by the forest canopy. The contrast in this scene is just way to stark for a "dreamy" image.
04-08-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would crop out most of the bottom rock, leaving only enough to be identifiable, and crop in from the left as well. The veiling of the water is very nice.
04-08-2013, 11:44 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum
Pretty good for a first try. You've got a difficult setting with the sun & shade. If you can go back here, I'd recommend trying it on a cloudy-bright day. Not quite gloomy, but overcast. Then you get rid of the wide range of light, & depending on the quality of the light, you may have nice saturated colours. And in lower light you can do longer exposures too. I also like to use a polarizer to enrich the colour of the rocks or surrounding vegetation.
If you do more waterfalls, also think about whether you want to show a wide scene, or maybe emphasize the height of it with a vertical shot. Look at both compositions before you click the shutter; perhaps one will strike you as the best orientation.
Have fun!

04-09-2013, 03:01 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks again for everyone's input.

Next time I'm up that way, I'll try your suggestions.
04-12-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I try to avoid the smallest aperatures like F32,IQ falls off up there. Use lowest iso to get the longest shutter. If you like waterfalls then perhaps a ND filter will be a good fit, 3-stops can be had for around 30 bucks and can help get slighlty longer exposures. I know people say cloudy days are best but personally I like a nice sunny days, I find the stock windows live photo viewer can help cut highlights on jpegs,i think it will even brighten shadows and its free.
04-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #10
Inactive Account

That is a lovely scene and I like the effect you've achieved with the water...it looks like a veil. I'd love to know where it's at myself because it's got real potential with different lighting. The rocks are definately a bit overexposed so shooting that scene at a different time of day would be quite interesting. Go back and experiment at different times of day. That picture would be perfect if the rocks were exposed better. It's a lovely scene and one I'd like to know about myself.
04-20-2013, 12:43 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Steve,

This waterfall is at the top of Leura Cascades in the blue mountains of NSW.
This is very close to the three sisters at Katoomba.
If you do a google search you should find heaps of images and information.
it's a bit of a popular spot with photographers here in sydney.

will definitely be back there to try again under different lighting though.

Bruce
04-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
Bruce,

I too thought that you found a special place, and made a very good photo that could be improved. There were very good a valid suggestions listed that you should explore. I am not very familiar with the KR, but check out the two images of the Upper Palouse Falls that I just posted. They illustrate another valid method for achieving that milky thread of water over a fall that you were trying to get by stopping the aperture down.

Good luck,
John
04-23-2013, 01:14 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Pleasing shot, IMO.

If you have such a thing, a graduated ND filter will help balance the different exposure levels top and bottom. If you want to maximize shutter speed, then you want to minimize ISO. That said, ISO 100 wouldn't have helped all that much because you'd still have been at F22 which is two stops less than you want to use. A three stop ND filter would have been ideal here. Maybe a CPL too.

HDR is another way to help balance the exposure. It needn't be hideous if applied in moderation.