Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2013, 11:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Good enough for PEG?
Lens: FA31 Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Hong Kong 

I personally think these two are my better shots this month. I would like to get one/both in the PEG, but I have my doubts, as in "meh, have seen that before, not another". Opinions appreciated.

DFA 100 Macro

Last edited by chesebert; 04-09-2013 at 11:40 PM.
04-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #2
Pentaxian

The first one is tilted ever so slightly. Both are nice, but none feel creative enough to warrant a PEG entry in my humble opinion. the first stands a better chance, but it's not "special" enough to me, sorry. Maybe something a bit different, like a long exposure showing people moving in front of or in/out of the store, or maybe more focus on the person to the left. Just thinking out loud.
04-10-2013, 07:39 AM   #3

I find the framing of the first one a little bothersome. I would suggest cropping below the partial word "Goods &" you can even get the whole circles in on top. It's very slight and hard to notice without magnifying, but bdery is correct your picture is a little tilted. I'm no judge for PEG so I can't offer you advice there.

Best,

-Q
04-10-2013, 08:28 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The first one is more interesting. Framing is the weakness. Slicing through the building sign like that hinders the story you are trying to communicate. The story as I see it is weak and too void of human connection to be meaningful or engaging. You chopped off too much of the girl (like the sign above) so the shot looks incomplete.

M

04-10-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cutting off the top of the sign (or not cutting enough) and lopping off the girl's feet are major weaknesses in the first. The disembodied hands are the problem in the second.
04-12-2013, 02:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
They are both good looking conversions with good image quality. The first could do with a few extra mm focal length to avoid the awkward cutting off around the edges. It's a cute shot but doesn't make a lasting impression. It needs something to give the viewer a reason to stick around or provoke a stronger reaction. A story, a statement, a juxtaposition, a photographic pun. The store itself doesn't appeal to me, it has that Venice in Las Vegas kind of look.

I quite like the quirkiness of the framing with the second. To make it work better and to make it more deliberate looking I might consider a shallower depth of field. The hands are cut off at the wrong point though, Limbs cut off near joints always seem to look rather wrong. Better imo to include the wrist and just a little forearm. The subject itself is fine but again a little lacking for me. Again, it actually looks a little too perfect, sterile. An authentic old school carousel with the imperfections of age would make for a more interesting image.

So no, sorry not PEG material for me.
04-14-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All very good comments, and very much on point.

Many thanks!