Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2013, 07:25 AM   #1
Forum Member

Bad dogs
Lens: SMC Pentax-DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6 ED AL [IF] DC WR Camera: K-5 Photo Location: The Alps ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4.5 

I really like this picture, personally. Questions, impressions, comments and crits are super-duper welcome

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
04-12-2013, 09:39 PM   #2
Veteran Member

They look like fun photo models! I like the "idea" of a dog peeking through a fence. In this case I feel like my eye just kind of falls into the dark area on the right. It seems really distracting & I would like to have seen the whole face lit. The background is in focus enough to see there's another dog, but not sharp enough to involve the other dog in the shot, really. And s/he is a little cramped against the edge of the frame.
Try some more; little different angle or cropping -- maybe include just one dog if the other is too far back -- & a little different lighting. It's a cute dog with some modelling potential!
04-23-2013, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I agree as well that a closer crop would of helped better with your composition. Since the second dog is not really "involved", your focus should of been more on your main subject.

I think a 1:1 format will look great ... and maybe bring up the Brightness just a tiny bit more ... !?
04-24-2013, 03:39 AM   #4
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by R.W.G. Quote
Bad dogs
Great shot, we have a phrase here, "There's no such thing as a bad dog, just bad owners".

04-26-2013, 01:42 PM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice image.
Including the dog at left suggests to me that the location is a kennel, animal shelter or "dog pound," and thus perhaps the image shouldn't be cropped from the left.
I would, however, consider cropping a bit from the right to eliminate the distracting bright area.
You might also want to try leveling the photo, which appears to angle down to the right.
Nik Software's Viveza 2 (and perhaps other software) would allow you to selectively brighten the dog's eye in the right portion of the area. I think you can still get get a free trial period at Nik's website. Also, Google lowered the price of the complete Nik package.
Best wishes.
05-03-2013, 10:14 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
That's some great suggestions there, sfm