Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 08:58 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Sunrise/Sunset over Mount Kinabalu and Sabah Island (9 photo set)
Lens: DA* 50-135/Voigtlander 20 Camera: K-5 

Please help answer for each picture: (i)where to improve (ii) Should it be printed out at a large size (iii) Should I submit it to PEG?

Last edited by chesebert; 04-15-2013 at 06:02 PM.
04-15-2013, 03:06 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Amazing photos. Love those colors.
04-15-2013, 06:05 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There are too many here, but I'll comment on a few. Let's start with setting context.

Generally these are pretty pictures, but in the context of an online gallery which tries to emphasize some art, I think it will be challenging to get one or two in. (no one knows until you try of course). I'm sure you realize that sunsets, like cute puppy shots, are cliched. Our brains have seen so many that the bar to amaze is quite high. So in a way you are competing with every sunset shot ever taken. In addition, I assume that at least 65% of the judges have a stash of their own sunset or sunrise shots that they hold in high regard. I know I do.

Sunset shots without people are especially doomed. That's why I like the last one especially. The person in the boat makes the shot. It puts the viewer in the picture. Consider submitting this one. . .

You had a few others with bodies in them. The one with the shapely woman to the right of another person is deeply flawed because the other person is shown taking a picture of the scene. That's just a big turnoff, considering the lovely outline of the woman. In a way this is a snapshot of someone else's snapshot.

The other one of the woman is just uninteresting as her position is too random. Plus more than half her body is obscured by the foreground shadow. And she looks out of focus. Ideally, a photographer should pay attention to every detail.

The earlier one with the boat is problematic because the boat is too diminutive to have any impact. Which is a shame as the colors are sweet.

Hope this helps.

M
04-15-2013, 06:12 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know. Just google sunset/sunrise and you get some really amazing pictures. More without people in it, as Miguel correctly pointed out. In addition to the fisherman shot, I also like the first one with the palm tree. I don't remember seeing too many palm tree in sunrise photos, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the helpful feedback (I should probably copy/paste your and others' comments in a shooting note I take with me).

Re the shapely woman in sunset, I PS the other person out. Will probably do a more detailed job if the concept works

Last edited by chesebert; 04-15-2013 at 06:26 PM.
04-15-2013, 07:54 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by chesebert Quote
I know. Just google sunset/sunrise and you get some really amazing pictures. More without people in it, as Miguel correctly pointed out. In addition to the fisherman shot, I also like the first one with the palm tree. I don't remember seeing too many palm tree in sunrise photos, but I could be wrong.

Thanks for the helpful feedback (I should probably copy/paste your and others' comments in a shooting note I take with me).

Re the shapely woman in sunset, I PS the other person out. Will probably do a more detailed job if the concept works

Good idea to clone out the dude, but you better try again with better technique. It looks like the Red Sea is gonna part right in front of her so she can find her freedom on that island

M
04-15-2013, 08:48 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
Good idea to clone out the dude, but you better try again with better technique. It looks like the Red Sea is gonna part right in front of her so she can find her freedom on that island

M
Just a concept. Will spend some quality time to get the dude out.
04-16-2013, 07:58 AM   #7
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
IMHO the first image is by the far the strongest, the colour blue yellow blue sandwich works so well, still has rich black, its got reflections and has interest in it's unusual pool and palm trees presentation.

The only two things I would do, is to clone away all the lights from all the buildings on the hills in the distance and also clone out the black blob in the sea just to the right of the palm trees, a quick two minute edit.

Then get printed large and hung on the wall and or alternatively sold for very large fee to some travel company for their exotic holiday brochures, it's certainly good enough.

04-16-2013, 05:34 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you, Kerrowdown. That one is my fav as well.

With lights and blob cloned out

Last edited by chesebert; 04-17-2013 at 09:05 AM.
04-19-2013, 02:31 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Excellent images