Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Sunset
Lens: Pentax DA 35 mm AL Camera: Pentax K-r Photo Location: Seychelles ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/1000s Aperture: F11 

A sunset shot on the beach in Seychelles. Handheld and warmed up in PP. Still mastering to straighten the horizon. Any comments are welcome...

Attached Images

04-15-2013, 09:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Welcome to the forum!
It's pretty dark... I wonder what you metered off of? For sunsets you can get nice colour by metering off the area of sky beside the sun, without including the sun in the picture. Then recompose.
The cloud shapes are interesting... putting the sun right in the middle might be considered a composition no-no. There seems to be not quite "enough" in this picture...
...but then if I was on a beach in the Seychelles I'd thumb my nose at what anyone thought
Keep shooting & have fun.
04-16-2013, 07:31 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sunsets are tricky. The hardest thing to accept from my experience is that sometimes it's just not worth it. I've witnessed beautiful sunsets that I just could not capture in the same way on camera.

Your composition is good. I like the rocks in the foreground, it gives the picture a little depth instead of just being water/sky. The exposure is dark, but that's going to happen shooting sunsets. Sure, you could have used HDR and bracketed the photo to light up the foreground, but it wouldn't have made much of a difference. My only advice would be to go out every night and keep trying. Once you get that first good sunset, you'll learn what to look for. Just takes experience and time to be there for the right moment, but you're on the right track!
04-16-2013, 09:23 AM   #4
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
The suggestions are very encouraging for a newbie like me. @ Alliecat will be residing on the islands for a while so have to to keep on shooting some more sunsets. Csmoore...i concur it may need a lot of patience and experience for one to bag the perfect sunset.

04-16-2013, 09:49 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
For sunsets, use a 5 step bracket 1.5 EV steps, and pay real close attention to which EV setting is the most usefull. A sunset can change from -2 EV to +2 EV just by changing where the camera is pointing. Also, if you're not burning your sky to bring it back in PP, you're under-exposing your foreground. You want to take you're sky as much as possible to the right on your histogram, without losing detail.

Hope that helps.