Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-17-2013, 05:54 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Roatan Sunrise
Lens: Tamron 70-300 Camera: k200d Photo Location: Roatan, Honduras ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/60s Aperture: F9.5 

Hi I took this sunrise in Roatan Honduras, it was pretty breezy!!!! I'd welcome your comments.

Tuggie76

Last edited by tuggie76; 10-07-2013 at 06:58 PM.
04-17-2013, 08:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I like the orange shade in the picture and how the the clouds look like brush strokes.
I also like the sparkling at the top of the waves but overall I find the image a little bit too dark towards the bottom ... and because of the sun, the image seems a little bit foggy ... Horizon line seems straight and that's a good thing.

The biggest problem is the framing ... a big sun in the middle of the photo takes over almost completely - I find it hard to focus on anything else because my attention is draw by the immense sun .

I would recommend to keep in mind the rule of thirds and also show more of the landscape and less of the sun - a wide angle lens would work better and will make the sun look smaller as well. You can still have the sun in ... but more on one of the sides rather than smack in the centre .

Additionally ... I would recommend you to try and experiment with ND filters - in this case a gradual ND will work nice - it will allow you to bring more detail on the foreground.

A very nice attempted - keep on practising!
04-17-2013, 06:31 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
I like the orange shade in the picture and how the the clouds look like brush strokes.
I also like the sparkling at the top of the waves but overall I find the image a little bit too dark towards the bottom ... and because of the sun, the image seems a little bit foggy ... Horizon line seems straight and that's a good thing.

The biggest problem is the framing ... a big sun in the middle of the photo takes over almost completely - I find it hard to focus on anything else because my attention is draw by the immense sun .

I would recommend to keep in mind the rule of thirds and also show more of the landscape and less of the sun - a wide angle lens would work better and will make the sun look smaller as well. You can still have the sun in ... but more on one of the sides rather than smack in the centre .

Additionally ... I would recommend you to try and experiment with ND filters - in this case a gradual ND will work nice - it will allow you to bring more detail on the foreground.

A very nice attempted - keep on practising!
Thanks Mr Newt, I take the point about the central sun. I did have an ND Grad Filter, as well as an ND and Poloriser, but they were attached to my wide angle lens and I was too lazy to change the set up, also I wanted the fast shutter speed to show the spray.

Now I'll have to convince the wife to let us go back to try again!
04-17-2013, 06:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tuggie76 Quote
Now I'll have to convince the wife to let us go back to try again!
That shouldn't be hard ... looks like a good romantic place .

04-19-2013, 09:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I agree with mrNewt that it's dark; I find the orange a bit muddy. I would love to have seen the sparkly bits atop the waves really show up.
As a film shooter, I would meter off the sky with the sun just out of the picture. Then the scene should show up better & your meter isn't 'fooled' by that very bright spot. Dunno if this applies to your digital metering, but try manual settings & do that, maybe?
Also agree with the placement of the sun.
Hope you can go back & try more. Looks like a nice place to take pix!
04-20-2013, 02:21 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks again Alliecat, yes the sunrise was outside my hotel window and the sunset a 2 minute walk away, but quite a trip to get the actuall sunset.

Tuggie