Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-19-2013, 06:07 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
these are beautiful. I especially love the first one! nice work.

04-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
While all three are nice photo's and I like the first The colors play nicely with each other.I really like the second one with the way the ice softens the stronger colors and adds it's own strong texture . You do have a way of getting the wow in your shots.
04-19-2013, 09:33 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Very cool (no pun intended)
I like the first one best too -- the little bits of colour. The ice texture in #2 is pretty strong but makes an unusual effect. I think I too might like a little more stem in #3... or maybe for most of the substance to not be in the bottom right corner... although I think it's mostly the stem. The abrupt cut-off end seems somehow at odds with the more delicate textures of the ice & flowers.
I love macro photography too You have some nice shots on your blog. I like the stream pix, the dogs, many of the close-up leaves...
04-20-2013, 06:07 AM   #19
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Well done some different images to look at, the like of which I've never seen before.

The middle one's particularly strong and reminds me of an old stain glass window. The really old glass, where they had bubbles and other imperfections actually in the glass.

Strong composition, good colours, lots of details that keeps the viewer interested. Print it large and get it on the wall.

Also consider selling to the likes of this one to the poster publishers and card folk, it's certainly good enough, well done.

04-20-2013, 09:39 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dane.dawg Quote
Dr Orloff to always gives great CC..
Yes, he is very good at critiquing the details... and it is appreciated.

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
I kept going back to the middle photo and thinking that I would really like that as the wallpaper on my computer monitors. The 1st and 3rd photos didn't seem to work for me because of the large white-ish flower/plant?? The images are new and unique...and seem to hold the attention. I kept asking myself were they taken from above or beneath the ice. But there's something about the middle photo that kept pulling me back to it while I was trying to admire the other two. Maybe it's the more pronounced colors and the less busy appearance. More simple. And I think if you follow the good Dr. Orloff's suggestions about the middle image, you'll detract from it too much. My finger is getting tired from scrolling back up to look at it from way down here.....
Thank you whitelotus! Your comments are important to me and I appreciate the input. I am pleased you like the middle image. It is so different I wondered if it would work.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
these are beautiful. I especially love the first one! nice work.
Thanks Mike!

QuoteOriginally posted by patrick9 Quote
While all three are nice photo's and I like the first The colors play nicely with each other.I really like the second one with the way the ice softens the stronger colors and adds it's own strong texture . You do have a way of getting the wow in your shots.
Patrick you are always very thoughtful! Thanks for commenting

QuoteOriginally posted by Alliecat Quote
Very cool (no pun intended)
I like the first one best too -- the little bits of colour. The ice texture in #2 is pretty strong but makes an unusual effect. I think I too might like a little more stem in #3... or maybe for most of the substance to not be in the bottom right corner... although I think it's mostly the stem. The abrupt cut-off end seems somehow at odds with the more delicate textures of the ice & flowers.
I love macro photography too You have some nice shots on your blog. I like the stream pix, the dogs, many of the close-up leaves...
Thank you Alliecat! It was great that you stopped by my blog. I am new to the whole concept of blogging, but it's great to have a place to lodge some thoughts and favourite photos.

I am going to work on that third image later. Work with the advice I have received. Thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
Well done some different images to look at, the like of which I've never seen before.

The middle one's particularly strong and reminds me of an old stain glass window. The really old glass, where they had bubbles and other imperfections actually in the glass.

Strong composition, good colours, lots of details that keeps the viewer interested. Print it large and get it on the wall.

Also consider selling to the likes of this one to the poster publishers and card folk, it's certainly good enough, well done.
hmmmm... thanks Kerrowdown Never would have thought of contacting the poster publishers.

I have reworked the first image based on feedback. Is it any better? Does it still work? I have so many versions of this shot I am getting confused on which rendering I like most.

grrr... now that I see it reduced on the forum I think it might be too dark.

04-20-2013, 10:37 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The first one had more natural and believable colours. This one seems a bit flat and oversaturated.
04-20-2013, 11:05 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks Mike. I agree that it is flat and the colours have changed. The thing about back lit ice is that it is very bright and it is natural for there to be really bright highlights.. I think that is why the first set seems more natural as I didn't try to underexpose while shooting and in pp I didn't try to adjust the highlights to the point where the translucent colours were effected.

I am going to bring back the natural brightness and see what that gets me with this version. Thanks.

04-20-2013, 11:48 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I copied the exact same colour and brightness values from the 1st version to this version. I am wondering if the original is still better despite the highlight down the left side of the image. I am actually starting to think I like it there... it adds to the balance of the shot. I know watching someone else's process can be tiring, so thanks to everyone who has provided me with advice and comments.

Original

Newest version

Last edited by tessfully; 04-20-2013 at 12:20 PM.
04-20-2013, 12:32 PM - 1 Like   #24
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
Tess,

That's all I can say.

Racer
04-20-2013, 03:48 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by tessfully Quote
Hey Mr. Newt... so glad to hear from you and really happy you liked these. Was your bigger project photo related? I am going to take your advice and crop the third and I know I can take care of the highlight down the left side of the first. Thank you sooooo much for commenting.........
Well, the new project involves pictures as well, but not mostly. Is a new family member that just joined us a month and a little bit ago .

As for the new updates (last post) ... both pictures has their charm I must admit. I like the cleaner one a little bit better ... maybe boost the brightness just a bit more ... !?
04-20-2013, 04:09 PM   #26

What the Fonz said.....
04-20-2013, 06:46 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I am wondering if the original is still better despite the highlight down the left side of the image. I am actually starting to think I like it there... it adds to the balance of the shot.
So... I agree with the balance and the brightness...
I'm not sure which software you are using, but I use PS and ran a layer blending on it you may wish to try.
It's a Hard Mix at 7% Fill Opacity with the "Blend If" sliders set to Underlying Layer: 8/32 and 207/239. Everything else at default. If you can, then give it a try. It restores some of the "natural" brightness in the image and adds some punch. It's slight which is why it works well - it doesn't seem like over-manipulation.
04-20-2013, 07:05 PM   #28
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

btw, Tess is the 35 the 2.4 or the 2.8 macro or some other Pentax lens?
04-21-2013, 04:42 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
This sure has been an enjoyable process, so thanks to everyone who commented. Love the graphics Racer and Whitelotus!

Mr. Newt! Congrats on your new family member I'd *love* to see pictures of this project!!!

Mike, I only have Aperture and it doesn't do much outside of the basic RAW conversion. I can adjust highlights, shadows, sharpness of course.It also has brushes to dodge and burn etc. But it doesn't do layers. I was thinking of getting Topaz as PS for a Mac is 800.00, but I sure wish I had it and knew how to use it.

Marc, it is the Pentax 35mm f/2.4 and I have a polarizer on it... It is an inexpensive version of the f/2.8, takes awesome photos, but doesn't do macro.

Well, I think I need a bit of distance from these and then I will submit to the PEG and see what happens. I still welcome now or then any critical feedback to help me better my craft.

Thanks again.
04-21-2013, 05:34 AM   #30
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
I was thinking of getting Topaz as PS for a Mac is 800.00, but I sure wish I had it and knew how to use it.
Gimp is FREE.