Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-08-2013, 12:14 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How out of focus can a good photo be?
Lens: K85mm 1.8, FA50mm 1.4 Camera: K20D Photo Location: London 

Hi,

There's a lot of talk about how sharp lenses and cameras are - or aren't - and sometimes it comes down to focus.

So I'd welcome your views on the two photos below. In the first photo, nothing in the original was in focus. I sharpened it as much as I could on PSE and the birds are better defined now but so is the background. In the second photo the focus is spot-on; good on the K20D+FA50mm!

I wonder which you prefer? The first shows speed but is it too out of focus with over-processed background? The second is sharp but does the swan look too static? (It was skating around a bit). Plus, any advice on settings for this kind of nature photography...most of what I do is buildings, still lives.

Many thanks

K85mm 1.8

FA50mm 1.4

Last edited by utak; 06-06-2013 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Re-posted swan with changes recommended by Alliecat below
05-08-2013, 03:23 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I like the second pic better, but more for the light than the focus.
05-08-2013, 03:43 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, by trying to sharpen and lighten the birds in the first photo, globally across the photo, I've washed out the colors.

Maybe I should leave the orginal as it was, and somehow isolate the birds and just try to sharpen, lighten them. Beyond my photo-shopping skills today, but I'll have a look at that!

Last edited by utak; 05-08-2013 at 03:48 AM.
05-08-2013, 02:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I like the first photo better. The second is good too. The light is nice, but I think slight blur or not you captured something really special with the first one. The mood of the photo is a bit dreamy but it's perfectly okay with those birds in motion and I don't think it needs sharpening much really. Totally spot on sharp isn't always that great, IMHO. Sometimes it's better not so sharp. Sacrificing a little sharp for mood, it works for me here.

05-08-2013, 08:56 PM   #5
Veteran Member

I think the gulls are terrific. But there's too much depth of field for my liking; even though the background is a little out of focus, the birds are a bit lost against it. My eye is drawn to the rest of the scene, but the fact that it's not quite in focus, gives me a bit of a headache.
There is nothing wrong with a "static" swan. He can be posing majestically, doesn't have to be moving. I think I'd have liked to see him a little farther up the frame -- maybe shoot from a lower angle? Also there is a very bright white spot in the middle of the background & the shoreline is crooked.
I see that you have a pretty wide aperture in both cases. One thing you might try if you want to photograph more birds or critters, is using a longer lens. A telephoto focused on your bird might separate it better from the background, giving you less DOF -- if I remember correctly -- thus emphasizing the bird more.
05-09-2013, 12:08 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Magkelly,

Thank you, you made my day!

Alliecat,

Thanks also for the comments, very helpful. That white spot in the background is rather irritating now you mention it - I can get rid of easily and also straighten the horizon and I'll do that.