Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-11-2013, 06:56 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Watermark

I decided to create a watermark as I am going to (finally) create a website to host my photography and start getting serious about displaying it. I am currently looking at Zenfolio.

Anyway, I decided to create my very first watermark - I've never watermarked my images before however will once I get that site up. My intent was to create something that was simple and understandable, elegant without being superfluous (as I've seen some very over-the-top watermarks), and yet exude a sense of professionalism at the same time.

Thoughts?

Name:  Untitled.jpg
Views: 413
Size:  53.2 KB

Here it is in an image with the text set to light grey and an opacity of 30%:

Name:  example3.jpg
Views: 448
Size:  104.7 KB

This is a screenshot with it fitted to a white background, however it is saved as a transparent .png from PSE11. The font is Arabic Typesetting.

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 05-11-2013 at 07:32 AM.
05-11-2013, 07:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

By itself looks good ... my only comment will be that the "J" is a little too close to the "X" - pay attention to your kerning (you can always reduce "Alex" a little bit to give you the extra space - or use a thinner font).
Also, post a few photo samples so we can see it in action .
05-11-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two more, taken yesterday during a memorial run for fallen soldiers on the base track

Name:  IMGP0934.jpg
Views: 477
Size:  359.0 KB

Name:  IMGP1138.jpg
Views: 519
Size:  813.1 KB

In retrospect, the second one could be better served with turning up the opacity and/or relocating it. I'm personally not a fan of watermarks in the upper corners though...

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
my only comment will be that the "J" is a little too close to the "X" - pay attention to your kerning (you can always reduce "Alex" a little bit to give you the extra space - or use a thinner font).
Yea I noticed that as well, but I think the bolding of JANSEN helps to distinguish the two. No?

-Heie

Last edited by Heie; 05-11-2013 at 08:03 AM.
05-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote
Two more, taken yesterday during a memorial run for fallen soldiers on the base track

Attachment 171629

Attachment 171630

In retrospect, the second one could be better served with turning up the opacity and/or relocating it. I'm personally not a fan of watermarks in the upper corners though...

Yea I noticed that as well, but I think the bolding of JANSEN helps to distinguish the two. No?

-Heie
Never mind the watermark Alex, p1 & p2 are superb. #1 makes me wish I had been there to see the sunset and soak up the feeling/emotion of the moment. #2 BW enhanced the intensity of the event and what it symbolizes. thanks for sharing......Cl;iff

05-11-2013, 12:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Heie Quote

-Heie
From a desing point of view, not really. The space between the "X" and "J" is smaller than the space between "J" and "A" - it makes it look like is part of "Alex"
But considering that is going to be a watermark, not too many will probably notice that.

All that matters is that you are happy with it .

Nice pics btw .
05-11-2013, 09:03 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I like the watermark, Alex. And I love that sunrise shot from New Zealand. Just might be my fave shot of yours.

Jack
05-15-2013, 06:57 AM   #7
smf
Pentaxian

I applaud your decision to display your photographs, and I think your watermark is classy. I offer these suggestions:
• Have more space between your first name and your last name.
• Reduce the space between letters in PHOTOGRAPHY.
I'd be grateful for notification when you establish your online gallery.
Warmest wishes,
Stu

05-24-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you all

I took your advice about the J being closer to the X rather than the A and fixed that. I didn't edit the spaced between PHOTOGRAPHY though because I like how it came out, especially with the J sitting right on top of the O. Here it is:

Name:  AlexJansenPhotography_Watermark_Black_MOBILE.png
Views: 203
Size:  30.4 KB

And here is the site

-Heie
05-25-2013, 07:11 AM   #9
smf
Pentaxian

Thanks very much for the update and for the link to your excellent website!
Warmest wishes.