Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-21-2013, 01:15 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
out of time
Lens: SMC M 50/1:1.7 Camera: KX (film) Photo Location: workshop ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1s Aperture: F3.2 

Hello
After a humbling attempt at the Exclusive Gallery in Digital (thank you to all who posted constructive criticism). I humbly submit this B&W image for critique, taken in low light with Ilford Delta 400, Sorry about the drop in Quality,not very good with computers!
Regards
William Kelday

Attached Images

05-21-2013, 02:36 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The exposure is good. I am not sure about the composition. Obviously I can't see all the instruments properly but I think one should be the focus of the picture. Perhaps you need to draw back a bit so a complete one is visible with the others playing a 'supporting role' for want of a better phrase. Maybe less instruments too. Also look at the background, brick might work but there's distracting clutter in the left of the frame. A plain dark coloured cloth background might be nice.
I'd say there's a good picture in there somewhere because acoustic string instruments can make a good still life and you have the technical skills to capture it.
05-21-2013, 02:45 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
out of time

Thank you, Yes I think a plain background would improve the photo.The focus was the Cello Scroll, The other instruments were supporting my newly made Cello, hence "out of time" as the others are all from 1800s to early 1920s. I guess I was getting carried away in my head
Thanks again
Bill
05-22-2013, 12:53 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Bill,
I should have added that with all those wonderful curves, wood grain and detail there's plenty of opportunity for close ups and abstracts that would work very well in black and white and be just as effective as a full length image. I envy you having access to them!
Russ

05-22-2013, 01:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
out of ime

Russ
Ah well, it is my job! I am a Guitar and Cello maker, website at , keldayguitars.com, this is the reason I am back into photography, the website photos leave a lot to be desired ! Of course,then, I got back into film as I much prefer the reality of analogue,most Digital is so processed that it looks like CGI Cinema, just not for me although I do use Digital too, not a complete Luddite.
I need to learn more about what works but don't want to be so confined by the "rules",it can make everything so sterile.
Thanks again for helping
Regards
Bill
05-23-2013, 07:07 AM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

I like the image as presented. I offer some suggestions:
• Crop from the left to eliminate the piece of wood (or whatever it is) at upper left with the three holes.
• Clone out the small, white speck near the photo's bottom, slightly right of center.
• Clone out the small highlight below the neck (if that's the correct term) of the instrument in the foreground.
• If you don't crop from the left, clone out
(1) the very small white object (perhaps a nick in the wood) at left on the instrument in the foreground and
(2) the small white dot at far left on that piece of wood at upper left with the three holes.
• Perhaps clone out the small, shiny, almost circular object(s) in the wall between the instruments.
Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your photographs.
05-23-2013, 11:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
smf

Thanks for the suggestions,I need to get my head round Photoshop to do these alterations,but I will attempt it. I am more used to film or P&S Digital although my partner has a K511 which I have been playing with, a lot to learn .
Thanks again
Bill

05-24-2013, 07:40 AM   #8
smf
Pentaxian

You are most welcome. By the way, I use Photoshop Elements (and iPhoto and Nik software) rather than Photoshop.