Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2013, 04:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cold day...

What do you guys think? I know that the image is too cold, but i don't like the way it looks after i've corrected the temperature.
There is something about this image that makes me like it a lot, even though i realize its not that good...

05-23-2013, 05:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
A Good Start

Hello Gabriel,
I like the basic composition, but overall it lacks the drama and impact (I think) you're looking for.
Here's my suggestions: Do you have lightroom? If so, increase the contrast and presence equally, a little at a time, until the different elements seem to "pop" more, better separation in the distances. This will also darken the image slightly, but leave that alone for now.
Now, with the color sliders, slightly increase the yellow and orange, bringing out the foreground colors. This will warm the overall color, but we've got a fix for that!
With the blue sliders, increase the luminance and saturation. This should regain (and enhance) the "cold" look while still leaving some color in the foreground.
Now scroll back up to the Tone Control graph and use those sliders to lighten the overall image. You might also need the "Shadows"and/or "Blacks" controls to pull out some shadow detail, but be careful here, these tend to soften or add a hazy look to the image.
Last, I'd crop slightly from the right, eliminate the small partial section of rock. It's unfinished, incomplete and the rest of the photo has natural borders and ends.
I think you have a good idea and a well-composed and exposed .image. These are my ideas for enhancing it.
Good luck!
Ron
« trees | out of time »