Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Negative Space

I took this on Saturday... to see if it worked for negative space.. I have already submitted my entry to the monthly contest but was wondering what others thought about it fitting into that theme...

Would I need to blurr all the grass out (the blurr that it has is natural not processed) for it to have negative space??? or is just maybe to common??? Any thoughts good or bad would be great!!!

Also how do I calm that white down?? Any processing tips for that?? I tried to shadow it but it is still pretty bright..

Thanks !!!! Kim

03-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I don't usually come into this section Kim, I just noticed that you posted it while looking at your profile.

I like the background blur. You'll be able to achieve more with a lower f-stop, however not all the ball will be in focus then.

As for toning down the white.
I have an eye dropper for white balance on my software.
When I clicked on an individual stitch in the white it toned it down a little.
And I was able to lower it a little more with a slider, however it didn't bring it down much.

Whites are probably the hardest color to work with, and you did a good job with it.
03-16-2008, 10:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks !!

QuoteOriginally posted by little laker Quote
I don't usually come into this section Kim, I just noticed that you posted it while looking at your profile.

I like the background blur. You'll be able to achieve more with a lower f-stop, however not all the ball will be in focus then.

As for toning down the white.
I have an eye dropper for white balance on my software.
When I clicked on an individual stitch in the white it toned it down a little.
And I was able to lower it a little more with a slider, however it didn't bring it down much.

Whites are probably the hardest color to work with, and you did a good job with it.

Thanks for the tips Stu... I will try the lower f-stop next time....

Whites have to be the most argivating thing to work with... They can just get so bright so fast and then once they are blown out... it seems like they never quite go back where they were.

Thanks for tryin... Kim
03-24-2008, 08:03 PM   #4

I like the pic, I took a similar one myself recently, and I like yours better!

I see what you mean about the negative space toward the top .. I think just re-composing and centering the ball a little more might have worked to even it out.

03-24-2008, 08:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtnbearhug Quote
Thanks for the tips Stu... I will try the lower f-stop next time....

Whites have to be the most argivating thing to work with... They can just get so bright so fast and then once they are blown out... it seems like they never quite go back where they were.

Thanks for tryin... Kim
Hi Kim,

Are you shooting in raw? I've found that if I shoot raw, I can reduce the exposure at least one stop in post processing and still retain detail. Also the white balance can be more drastically adjusted. Raw has saved many of my shots that otherwise would have been blown out because of my errors.

Just a thought.

Russ
03-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks !!

QuoteOriginally posted by deludel Quote
I see what you mean about the negative space toward the top .. I think just re-composing and centering the ball a little more might have worked to even it out.
Next time I have a chance I will try your suggestion Deludel... Glad you liked it.. I appreciate the feedback...

QuoteOriginally posted by rfortson Quote
Are you shooting in raw? I've found that if I shoot raw, I can reduce the exposure at least one stop in post processing and still retain detail. Also the white balance can be more drastically adjusted. Raw has saved many of my shots that otherwise would have been blown out because of my errors. Just a thought. Russ
Hey Russ.. No.... I am not shooting in RAW... (sighs)... I know I need to start because of the processing oppurtunities.. It is just hard to break the mold once you are used to do something one way...

Maybe next time I do this shot with the feedback I have gotten I will shoot it RAW and see how it changes it...

Thanks for the feedback everyone!! I do appreciate it.. Kim