Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-31-2013, 05:56 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Bee
Lens: SMC-M 100/4 Macro Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Seattle, WA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/500s Aperture: F8 

I spent a lot of time out there on my butt trying to get this shot and this is the only one close. Don't think I quite got it, though. Aside from the crop, it's as it came out of the camera. Any advice on 1) getting the shot or 2) post processing? Under-exposed?

I've got all summer to get this shot and I will!

05-31-2013, 06:35 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More light, a bit deeper DoF and try and get the face unless having the face hidden tells the story.
05-31-2013, 06:45 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Yes, yes, yes, no.

He wasn't cooperating, I took a dozen or so and this is really the only one that looked like a bee. I was shooting at f8 and using catch-in-focus. The body is focused and sharp, but his head is out of the focus depth. That might mean that I front focused or it might be that f8 is too shallow for what I was trying to do.

Thanks for the feedback, you're right, of course.
06-01-2013, 12:32 AM   #4

What AussieTrev said.
Light is important although if this is only just a cropped version of the original then you can probably get a descent photo after processing the original raw. Auto levels in PS would do the job.

As for technical details f8 is too open for me. I usually use f13 or even f16 in macro. Unless my subject is flying I keep shutter speed between 1/100 and 1/200. And of course patience is a virtue. Approach as quite as you want and keep in mind that even if it flies away it will probably come back to the same flower unless you are making a lot of noise. Pick the exact focus point and wait. Early morning insects are usually more calm but you may need flash for extra light. And of course you have to pick the right angle in shooting. Finding a clear background is important. If the background is "noisy" in colors and flowers or things like that even if you get a clear photo it won't be a good one. Personal example of bad angle-background Mantes having Lunch | Flickr - Photo Sharing! even with a great subject

06-01-2013, 09:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Very good input, thanks. I always forget that I have a flash. I may PP this a bit, but the fact that her whole body is not in the focus plane keeps it from ever being what it should be. Fortunately, Seattle is in bloom now through July and we've got lots of bees, so I'll get plenty of other chances. The advice from the two of you certainly improves my chances of getting it right.

Thanks again.
06-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #6
smf
Pentaxian

You might try ISO800. I have no experience with your camera, but I am very pleased with results of ISO800 with my K-x.

Best wishes!