Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-07-2013, 05:00 AM - 1 Like   #1

Boston Skyline
Lens: SMC DA 18-135mm WR Camera: K-30 Photo Location: Boston ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 2s Aperture: F8 

Hi,

Looking forward to reading your critiques!

Thanks,

Renaud

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-07-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lighter or Darker?

Hello Renaud, Welcome to the Forum!
First off, I like the skyline, the composition is good, the photo is clean and sharp. On my monitor is almost looks too sharp, did you add sharpening in PP?
Now, a personal and not-too-objective opinion; I shoot a lot of sunrises and sunsets, usually in aperture priority. The meter almost always brightens the exposure to lighten things beyond what the actual scene looked like and (also) brighter than I prefer.
Normally I use 1/3 to 2/3 stop exposure compensation (darker) than the camera meter suggests. As the sun comes up, the exposure evens out and I reduce the compensation. By full daylight, the camera-recommended exposure is more to my liking and I remove the compensation.
Realizing that not everyone has the same taste, here's my suggestion; Bracket your sunsets and sunrises. I'd suggest a 5-step bracket- minus 1/3, minus 2/3, plus 1/3, plus 2/3 and normal exposure.
Of course, not every shot needs this many choices. But during a dramatic moment, when the sun is JUST right, click off a few extras with compensation.
You just might find you like something beyond what the meter choses. You may find that a bit of contrast and saturation are needed, but overall the photo will have more 'pop'
For my taste, I'd darken the entire shot at least 1/3 stop, for more of a dramatic look.
JMO, good work!
Ron
06-07-2013, 06:38 AM   #3
RPG

Original Poster
Hi Ron,
Thank you! Such comments are very important to improve my photography skills (I am a beginner).
I shot RAW so I will try to apply your recommendations in Camera Raw.
Take care,
Renaud
06-07-2013, 12:44 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'm certainly no expert, but I live in Cambridge so wanted to see I like it for the most part. few things that I noticed (none of which are that big a deal):
- is the image completely level? I'm not sure...I feel like there's a slight tilt to the waterline.
- pp suggestion: some of the wispy clouds on the left, at least at this resolution, look like a hair on the lens or something. Might be worth removing.
- pp suggestion: the blue lights on the waterline provide an odd contrast to the rest of the image. maybe tone them down a little?
- I think it would work better for me if you cropped a small amount from the top, so the waterline was centered and the image was more panoramic
- maybe crop a little from the left, so the orange reflections provide a 'border' effect? not sure if that would work, but could be interesting.

anyway, it's a good image! Where'd you take it from?

06-08-2013, 03:56 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

It is a very nice image, and I thank you for posting it.

I agree with Dagatech about what seems to be a very slight tilt to the waterline and the hairline appearance of the wispy clouds. To a lesser degree, I agree with the suggested slight crop from the top. (I think it is worth a try, but I do like the image as presented.)

I hope to see more of your photography. Best wishes.
06-11-2013, 07:23 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Very nice picture. I scrolled the water horizon down to the edge of Internet Explorer's frame and there's a tiny tilt down to the left which I hadn't noticed until I read the comments. I agree a small crop from the top would make it better
06-11-2013, 02:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well done. There is a very slight drop of the horizon to the left, easy fix. I don't mind the wispy clouds and jet con trails as they add interest. I kind of like the jolt of intense blue from the lights. I would agree a slight crop off the top to give a more panoramic feel might be a possibility. I find the intense orange light and reflection at the far right a distraction. It's at the edge of the frame and draws my eye, I might suggest toning it down a little bit. My 2 cents.

06-11-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
Veteran Member

The aspect ratio is all wrong, and the water line isn't horizontal and its not exactly on the 1/3 line! lol I'm just kidding, I've got nothing, its an absolutely stunning capture, sharp buildings, smooth water, nice contrast between blue sky and yellow light, great exposure.. Well done The only problem now is keeping up and getting photos that are at least as good and better
06-11-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Nice photo. Maybe a bit too sharp, but I like it. The windows do seem to pop a bit. It has a very nice quality. And it is Boston!
06-22-2013, 07:34 AM   #10
RPG

Original Poster
Thank you to all of you, I appreciate your comments!!!!
I will try to find some time to apply your suggestions and will post a new one.
06-22-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
RPG

Original Poster
Hi,

Is it better now? Please share your thoughts.

I did not anything regarding sharpness.
dagaetch, I shot it from Piers Park, East Boston

Thanks again to you all,

Renaud
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
06-24-2013, 07:44 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd take a litle more of the top but even so it's lools good.
06-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #13
Veteran Member

The balance of the composition looks much better. I find a conventional 60:40 normally works well for this kind of shot. The sky has to be much more dramatic for the original ratio to work.

I much prefer the lighter feel of the original, I find that the buildings are more detailed and pleasing. The blacks feel too heavy in the darkened version.
06-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #14
RPG

Original Poster
Thanks Dr Orloff, I agree... French (from Limousin)? I am...
06-29-2013, 08:32 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I am in the Limousin but I am English.
« B&W Portrait | Rain »