Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-12-2013, 07:15 PM - 1 Like   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Opening a Gap
Lens: Sigma EX 50-150 II Camera: K-5 Photo Location: Charlotte, NC ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: 1/90s Aperture: F4 

Charlotte NC/USA Criterium Women's Professional Race leaning into last corner winding up for a long prime sprint.

Last edited by lukulele; 06-30-2014 at 11:45 AM.
06-13-2013, 01:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
A successful pan with an ambitious shutter speed. A clean, uncluttered shot with pleasing, albeit unconventional
colours. I like how the colours match the team jersey.

Interesting, low evening light. I can't help wonder what the next shot looks like, where the whole rider is in the sun. This shot is only halfway in the sun.

You might consider taking out the red light in the top right corner.

How do you like the Sigma 50-150 for bike racing? Can you make it track oncoming racers successfully when they're close enough to fill the frame at 150mm f/2.8 ?

I purchased my DA* 50-135 from a guy who also had a Sigma 50-150 up for sale at the same time. I chose the 50-135
for the weathersealing and I haven't regretted the choice, but can't help thinking that I should've taken the Sigma for sports. I also shoot bike racing, but I have the DA200 for the tele work and it does OK for tracking. The 50-135 certainly doesn't.

Regards,
--Anders.
06-13-2013, 04:42 AM   #3
smf
Pentaxian

It's a very appealing image as posted. I agree that it might be even more successful with removal of the red light. One approach to removal would be cropping down from the top, rather than merely using software to delete the red light. Cropping would delete the distracting, large, bright green elements and the crossbars.
Best wishes, and I hope to see more of your photographs.
06-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Anders and Stuart,
Thanks for the suggestions,
The 50-150 is a dream in daylight with the occasional pixie dust on bright colors but begins to suffer as the darkness creeps in. Tracking is very easy with pre spot metering as is filling the frame with both k-5(and the k-01). As to the bright light immediately after the riders entered the the 20 metres of intense light and began to hammer, I got plenty of overexposures, then down the main street of downtown Charlotte and not much light at all due to the tall buildings. Pretty much found a crease of light that worked. I'll try those suggestions. Looking to shoot track at our new velodrome in Rock Hill, SC across the border.