Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-16-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Which one and why?

Took this picture yesterday while on a family trip to the zoo. Everyone seems to really like this image. My Dad suggested that it might come across better in black and white. I've been playing with a couple of things and am wanting opinions from the experts. Which is better and why.

Original

Cropped color

Cropped B&W

Cropped sepia

03-17-2008, 06:16 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Great picture! I can see why everyone likes it!
Personally, i like the black and white and sepia the most... the reason being, i think having colour in it, distracts the eyes to other areas of the photo, which are not your focus for the image. I like how you cropped it, however, i would try and crop it wider, so you can see the stick(if thats a stick) the little boy is holding... i think that his stick adds some story to the picture.
I realize that maybe you cropped it that way b/c you don't want to include things on the girl's side.. and maybe thats a good reason.. but ya... thats my opinion..
nice shot!
-daniel
03-17-2008, 08:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks for the insight. To be honest I didn't even notice that there was something in his hand and for the life of me couldn't tell you what it is. Would it look bad to throw off the symmetry by cropping a little wider on the left side to include whats in the hand as was suggested? I don't want to crop any less on the right side because I think the stroller with the other kid would be too distracting.

My dad and I are both moe fond of the B&W version. My wife likes the color.
03-17-2008, 10:03 PM   #4
Inactive Account

i agree with you in terms of not cropping less on the right... it would be distracting..if i were to crop it, i'd crop it wide on the left, even as far as to get part of that classic "radio flyer" wagon in the frame... make it more of a square picture... but i'm weird and have a love for odd sized pictures...
i wonder what he's holding? haha... quite the story you've got there in that picture!

03-24-2008, 08:07 PM   #5

Ooh I like this one! Shots from the back are my faves. I like the cropped/color one best, and here's why: The strollers in front of the children modernize/time-stamp the shot. They are a little distracting, but the color/crop takes care of those.

The B&W or Sephia ones would be great if those strollers were not there; it would make it a timeless shot.

Nicely done tho .. great job capturing the moment.