Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2013, 05:58 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Light and Shadow
Camera: K5 Photo Location: Mt. Baker Wilderness ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 1/4000s Aperture: F5.6 

Your thoughts on my composition and processing of this image. Thank you for your C&C.

This is Mt. Baker with a lenticular cloud forming at its peak. According to Wikipedia: "Where stable moist air flows over a mountain or a range of mountains, a series of large-scale standing waves may form on the downwind side. If the temperature at the crest of the wave drops to the dew point, moisture in the air may condense to form lenticular clouds. As the moist air moves back down into the trough of the wave, the cloud may evaporate back into vapor. Under certain conditions, long strings of lenticular clouds can form near the crest of each successive wave, creating a formation known as a "wave cloud." The wave systems cause large vertical air movements and so enough water vapor may condense to produce precipitation. The clouds have been mistaken for UFOs (or "visual cover" for UFOs) because these clouds have a characteristic lens appearance and smooth saucer-like shape."

Attached Images

Last edited by jnguyen; 07-02-2013 at 08:18 PM.
07-02-2013, 08:29 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very nice... Not too common to see a lenticular cap above Baker!

Jim
07-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #3

Photos: Gallery
oh you gonna hate me for my comment...

the one of the greatest subjects given in the most common manner, excuse me

ask yourself - can the person staying next to you with a cameraphone shoot the same picture?

the mountain is gorgeous, the cloud is is fantastic, that's all

my sincere thanks for a great landscape!
07-12-2013, 06:33 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NoMaD_PS Quote
oh you gonna hate me for my comment...

the one of the greatest subjects given in the most common manner, excuse me

ask yourself - can the person staying next to you with a cameraphone shoot the same picture?

the mountain is gorgeous, the cloud is is fantastic, that's all

my sincere thanks for a great landscape!
Thank you for your honest assessment.

07-24-2013, 11:34 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Curious about the exposure values (
QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
ISO: 80Shutter Speed: 1/4000sAperture: F5.6
The scene must have been very bright to use such a high shutter speed, the highlights on the snow fields are very bright (little over exposed or PP boosted to emphasize the slight cloud shading)? The exposure is great, there are all the tones on the gray scale and I feel like putting on my sunglasses to view it, so it works for me as a snowfield scene on a bright day. My Amateur Opinion.
07-31-2013, 07:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hey there. What time was this photo taken at? Mountain photos should usually be taken at a time when the sun is at an angle, so viewers can see shadows and the mountains look more 3-D.
To be fair, with a subject like that, with snow all over, that might not work anyway. And you already have some contrasts on there, which is good.
I think the mountains are pretty great and the cloud makes it more than just a snapshot. The processing is also great. The only thing I might do is play with curves some more, or maybe add a gradient (to brighten up the cloud a little, and darken some of the snow hills on the mountain)
Its a great shot, though. Try having it printed in A3, I bet it would look great, much more impressive than a small jpeg on a computer
08-01-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A lenticular cloud over Baker is quite special and I think the basics of your capture are special too. I actually think this has the potential to be the best shot of yours I've seen here. You have a lot of fascinating tones here and from my own experience shooting in our mountains I realize how tough it is to balance it all when your eyeballs are ready to pop from the intensity of the reflected light.

The framing is really fine. Any of my suggested improvements can be made via software.
I'd try to intensify the contrast on the mountain between the shadowed and sunlit areas. There are some compelling patterns there that need to be brought out. In a similar vein, the textured lines of snow or crevasses running downward in the foreground (I forgot the name of the specific ridge) seriously need to be better emphasized. It will add another dimension to your shot. Thirdly the grey skies above the lenticular cloud are too blocky. There is much more definition there and many more tones that needs to be brought forth. Again, this will add a dimension to the shot that a simple snapshot would never do.

Hope this helps. You've got an excellent photograph in the making.

M

08-01-2013, 02:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
A lenticular cloud over Baker is quite special and I think the basics of your capture are special too. I actually think this has the potential to be the best shot of yours I've seen here. You have a lot of fascinating tones here and from my own experience shooting in our mountains I realize how tough it is to balance it all when your eyeballs are ready to pop from the intensity of the reflected light.

The framing is really fine. Any of my suggested improvements can be made via software.
I'd try to intensify the contrast on the mountain between the shadowed and sunlit areas. There are some compelling patterns there that need to be brought out. In a similar vein, the textured lines of snow or crevasses running downward in the foreground (I forgot the name of the specific ridge) seriously need to be better emphasized. It will add another dimension to your shot. Thirdly the grey skies above the lenticular cloud are too blocky. There is much more definition there and many more tones that needs to be brought forth. Again, this will add a dimension to the shot that a simple snapshot would never do.

Hope this helps. You've got an excellent photograph in the making.

M
Here is an updated image based on your suggestions. Thank you.
Attached Images

08-01-2013, 02:59 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jnguyen Quote
Here is an updated image based on your suggestions. Thank you.
While you have the foreground textures revealed, the area seems too grey. I'd whiten it a lot more while retaining the texture. I'd also fine tune my application of whatever you used to darken things as the areas around the tree breaks are too white or haloed and artifacted.

I think the skies above the lenticular cloud is still too smudgy. I would prefer them lightened, maybe just more clarity there with selective lightening. The lenticular cloud is now too grey as well. You need the lighter contrast. It is also too grainy. What software are you using?

M
08-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Miguel Quote
While you have the foreground textures revealed, the area seems too grey. I'd whiten it a lot more while retaining the texture. I'd also fine tune my application of whatever you used to darken things as the areas around the tree breaks are too white or haloed and artifacted.

I think the skies above the lenticular cloud is still too smudgy. I would prefer them lightened, maybe just more clarity there with selective lightening. The lenticular cloud is now too grey as well. You need the lighter contrast. It is also too grainy. What software are you using?

M
I am using Perfect Photosuite 7 and Lightroom.. Thank you for the suggestions.