Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-06-2013, 09:53 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Mt. Shuksan as Infrared
Lens: Fa 20mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Mt. Baker Wilderness ISO: 80 Shutter Speed: 5s Aperture: F8 

Any recommendations on how to better process this IR image? It was taken with an IR filter.

Attached Images

07-07-2013, 02:53 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Its a really cool photo. The reflection is cool, the deep dark sky, the white cloud and white snow contrasting the dark trees and mountain. The DoF is really great, too, with the composition drawing the eye from the foreground to the mountains.
But this was taken with a normal K-5 and IR filter on the lens? Because that is not the same as "IR photography" where the IR filter is removed from the camera's sensor and IR light is caught
Its confusing because on the internet some people refer to the IR filter as the filter that removes IR light, and some refer to it as the filter that allows only IR light to pass
07-07-2013, 06:16 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Its a really cool photo. The reflection is cool, the deep dark sky, the white cloud and white snow contrasting the dark trees and mountain. The DoF is really great, too, with the composition drawing the eye from the foreground to the mountains.
But this was taken with a normal K-5 and IR filter on the lens? Because that is not the same as "IR photography" where the IR filter is removed from the camera's sensor and IR light is caught
Its confusing because on the internet some people refer to the IR filter as the filter that removes IR light, and some refer to it as the filter that allows only IR light to pass
I used a filter that only allows IR light to pass through.

Last edited by jnguyen; 07-07-2013 at 08:58 AM.
07-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #4

Photos: Gallery
I think that this would be good if you did a grad filter from the top of the mountain reflection to the bottom of the image, darkening it.

I was initially thinking to crop out the cloud reflection in the water as well, but it seems somewhat balanced as-is. Worth trying though. I would still put the grad filter on it though.

Also, you can also try and darken the reflection a bit. It competes for my attention just a bit too much.

I'm okay with the contrast, but such things are screen dependent as well.

You might also consider darkening the sky and the clouds behind the mountain, if you want the mountain to stand out more.

08-25-2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I really like it ! Wish the reflection was more sharp and clear in the foreground. Very nice
08-01-2014, 05:19 AM   #6

Are you sure it was a IR filter?
Have you adjusted WhiteBalance on green? Have you converter to B/W with or without WB adjustments? It looks preaty like photoshop "Infrared" B/W convertion.
If you have taken picture with IR filter and without propper WB, your RAW file should be red as hell. Open it with Phase one capture one pro and adjust white balance somwhere on trees. Camera Raw won`t do, it has to small temperature range.
You should alredy get a good colored result. try to convert it B/W or try swapping chanels.

Its a great picture, try it out in color, perhaps its even better...)
08-09-2014, 01:58 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
I like the shot a lot. Especially the blurred reflection and clouds, they make the actual mountain look even more sharp. Maybe I would have tried get another 'non-moving' in the foreground, e.g. a Rock or something else (not underwater).

08-12-2014, 03:02 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What IR filter were you using? I just returned some cheap-o Polaroid IR filters (which are the same as the Chinese off-brand ones on eBay) because it lets in too much red, and spoils the true IR effect. In your photo (which is good, by the way) I would expect the foliage to be brighter - unless they are in shadow and/or you post-processed them that way.