Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-16-2013, 07:52 AM - 1 Like   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lighthouse Jamestown Island, RI

Lots of things the PEG did not like about this image but the one that has me stumped is the comment: "I think the image is just off level, only a fraction but not perfect". I have looked at the photo until my eyes have crossed and I cannot see why the reviewer thinks it is off level. Is it my eyes or the reviewers?

Last edited by slowpez; 07-26-2013 at 08:40 AM.
07-16-2013, 11:14 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't think it's off level, but there might be a tiny bit of lens distortion on the waterline at the far right. Really just a tiny amount...if I hadn't studied the image really closely, I certainly wouldn't notice it.

I really like it, BTW
07-16-2013, 11:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I think someone is being very pedantic but it is a nice shot.

Out of pure curiosity I just opened the image in PS CS3 and used the ruler tool to draw a line along the horizon where the sea meets the sky. I then tried to rotate the canvas by the 'arbitrary' setting which shows you the amount it needs to rotate to match the ruler value and it indicated that I needed to rotate the canvas counter-clockwise by 0.2° to get a level horizon.

The image is actually not level but only by a minuscule amount.
07-16-2013, 12:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dagaetch Quote
I don't think it's off level, but there might be a tiny bit of lens distortion on the waterline at the far right. Really just a tiny amount...if I hadn't studied the image really closely, I certainly wouldn't notice it.

I really like it, BTW
Thanks for your input.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
I think someone is being very pedantic but it is a nice shot.

Out of pure curiosity I just opened the image in PS CS3 and used the ruler tool to draw a line along the horizon where the sea meets the sky. I then tried to rotate the canvas by the 'arbitrary' setting which shows you the amount it needs to rotate to match the ruler value and it indicated that I needed to rotate the canvas counter-clockwise by 0.2° to get a level horizon.

The image is actually not level but only by a minuscule amount.
I finally opened it in Picasa (it has a small graph that makes it easier for me to check level) and I swear it shows level there. I have been so careful about my horizons that this one is just driving me nuts. I appreciate your checking it out for me Tako Kichi.

07-16-2013, 12:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
I finally opened it in Picasa (it has a small graph that makes it easier for me to check level) and I swear it shows level there. I have been so careful about my horizons that this one is just driving me nuts. I appreciate your checking it out for me Tako Kichi.
No problem, glad to help.

Re. Picasa, depending on how thick the grid lines are you may not even see 0.2° of tilt as it could be hidden under the grid line thickness.
07-16-2013, 12:21 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by slowpez Quote
Lots of things the PEG did not like about this image
I'd like to hear what else they thought was wrong with the picture. I quite like it, and would be proud to call such an image my own. There's a really cool mirrored pattern going on between the clouds and the rocks: the rocks seem to make a big arrow pointing left, while the gap in the clouds (or maybe a darker cloud?) near the horizon makes a big arrow pointing right. Really cool.
07-16-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Image is well balanced, it has a subject, it has a story...
If anything... the only thing that maybe I would of wanted to see is more from the sea/ocean on the right side and a little bit more of the sky above - feels a tinny bit cut short above the lighthouse.
I like the B&W conversion... it gives more drama and has a stronger, darker effect. Feels almost like a storm is coming...

I've imported the image in PS5 and the horizon line is off by 1px... literally...
If this will be a print, I would like to see the person who takes a ruler with them to check the horizon line and actually notice the 1px difference.
I think 1px is well within "tolerance"

07-16-2013, 01:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

1px probably equates well to my 0.2° value for the available image resolution. If Susan was using a 2px grid in Picasa she probably wouldn't see the tilt if she placed a grid line on the horizon as it would cover up a 1px angle.
07-16-2013, 02:16 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by scratchpaddy Quote
I'd like to hear what else they thought was wrong with the picture. I quite like it, and would be proud to call such an image my own. There's a really cool mirrored pattern going on between the clouds and the rocks: the rocks seem to make a big arrow pointing left, while the gap in the clouds (or maybe a darker cloud?) near the horizon makes a big arrow pointing right. Really cool.
Thanks a lot. I quite liked it to and don't plan on making any changes to it. I submitted it because I liked it and really thought it had a chance to make it into the PEG but, alas, it wasn't to be. Most of the comments were positive so I can't complain.

QuoteOriginally posted by mrNewt Quote
Image is well balanced, it has a subject, it has a story...
If anything... the only thing that maybe I would of wanted to see is more from the sea/ocean on the right side and a little bit more of the sky above - feels a tinny bit cut short above the lighthouse.
I like the B&W conversion... it gives more drama and has a stronger, darker effect. Feels almost like a storm is coming...

Thanks so much.

I've imported the image in PS5 and the horizon line is off by 1px... literally...
If this will be a print, I would like to see the person who takes a ruler with them to check the horizon line and actually notice the 1px difference.
I think 1px is well within "tolerance"
Yeah. Sometimes the judges like to take an image and blow it up to 200% or more to find flaws. Glad this one was close enough to level to make me feel a bit better.

QuoteOriginally posted by Tako Kichi Quote
1px probably equates well to my 0.2° value for the available image resolution. If Susan was using a 2px grid in Picasa she probably wouldn't see the tilt if she placed a grid line on the horizon as it would cover up a 1px angle.
You have that right. I still can't see the one px. difference.

Thanks everyone. Appreciate the input.
07-16-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I personally have stared at it a bit and would like less left side (rocks) and more right side water. maybe lighthouse seems to centered, maybe I just want more connection with the sea.

also I understand the concept behind the use of wider angle lens, but not sure the foreground is THAT interesting to highlight it over the lighthouse.

now we are getting into subjective thoughts, but my 2 cents worth.

in terms of levelness, there's some visual deception going on right in the middle where the rocks curve into the sea and the minor lens distortion of the waterline create kind of a "V". perhaps that is what is fooling the reviewer. or maybe their reading glasses were on crooked and the bi-focal line was tilted....lol
07-16-2013, 04:05 PM   #11

Susan, For what it's worth, I like the image a lot! I question whether the 0.2 degree rotation would really matter in the big scheme of things. After all, we do not live on a flat planet but rather a round one. You might want to resubmit it hoping to get different judges.
07-17-2013, 06:18 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nomadkng Quote
I personally have stared at it a bit and would like less left side (rocks) and more right side water. maybe lighthouse seems to centered, maybe I just want more connection with the sea.

also I understand the concept behind the use of wider angle lens, but not sure the foreground is THAT interesting to highlight it over the lighthouse.

now we are getting into subjective thoughts, but my 2 cents worth.

in terms of levelness, there's some visual deception going on right in the middle where the rocks curve into the sea and the minor lens distortion of the waterline create kind of a "V". perhaps that is what is fooling the reviewer. or maybe their reading glasses were on crooked and the bi-focal line was tilted....lol
Thanks for taking the time to comment. I appreciate it very much.

QuoteOriginally posted by whitelotus9 Quote
Susan, For what it's worth, I like the image a lot! I question whether the 0.2 degree rotation would really matter in the big scheme of things. After all, we do not live on a flat planet but rather a round one. You might want to resubmit it hoping to get different judges.
Thanks for the kind comment. I have learned not to resubmit as I seem to get the same judges every time and they make comments like "I didn't like it the first time and I don't like it now." The bottom line is I like it even with all of its flaws (and the uneven shoreline is not the only flaw).
07-18-2013, 09:32 AM   #13
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
I really like the image, on the horizon line top right, both the spirit bubble in ACR and the auto lens corrections level in Lightroom5 both move it a tad, but wow it's tiny.

Susan don't get wrapped round the axle with this, it's a great image.
07-18-2013, 10:01 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kerrowdown Quote
I really like the image, on the horizon line top right, both the spirit bubble in ACR and the auto lens corrections level in Lightroom5 both move it a tad, but wow it's tiny.

Susan don't get wrapped round the axle with this, it's a great image.
Thank you kindly sir. I have gotten over it (at least until the next time.)
07-18-2013, 10:36 AM   #15
Pentaxian

i HOPE YOU GET THE CAPSLOCK JUDGE AGAIN. I THINK CRITIQUES ARE MUCH MORE AUTHORITATIVE AND THOUGH-PROVOKING IF TYPED IN ALL-CAPS.