Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
"You Forgot To Put Your Bike Away!"
Lens: DA 35mm f/2.4 AL Camera: K10D Photo Location: Denver, Colorado USA ISO: 100 Shutter Speed: 1/125s Aperture: F8 

Maybe out of season, but it might help cool someone off. A shot from my files, always liked this photo. It's a bit melancholy but has the 'feel' of childhood nevertheless. I slightly desaturated the brightness in PP, plus it was an overcast day, just after a light snow.
C + C appreciated,
Ron

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
07-21-2013, 01:05 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Nice shot and the title is something I've shouted at my kids many times over the past 20 years!
07-22-2013, 07:00 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks!

Hi Tako Kichi, yes, I remember hearing that many times myself!
Luckily, there's very little chance of rust.
Ron
07-22-2013, 07:12 AM - 1 Like   #4
MSL
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice Ron - I posted a similar shot a while ago where I caught the snow sliding down the slide with the trike looking on in encouragement https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/post-your-photos/221748-misc-toronto-new-edmonton.html

I like the treatment you gave the photo. If possible, I'd crop a little less from the top. It just seems a little tight to me, unlike the other three sides.

07-22-2013, 09:43 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
A popular type of photo to shoot and shows that kids not listening seems to be a common trait. As for the photo the slight desaturation gives it a bit of a sad feeling. I'd agree that it's cropped too tight at the top and think it would be better with a little breathing room. It's a contrasty image and the darks are lacking in detail, personally I'd like to see some detail there. I did a quick edit to show what I mean, just my 2 cents.
Alternate edit of photo by rbefly | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg
07-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks For The Feedback!

Hello MSL, I took a look at your linked photo, a fine job by the way, and they are indeed similar in theme, yours is somewhat brighter and projects having fun with the idea, mine is more somber and wistful. Amazing how PP can affect the mood!
I hadn't noticed the close crop at the top, but you're right, it's closer than the other sides + bottom. I do remember that I didn't want anything else in the frame to detract from the bike and snow, but will look at the raw file to see if there's any other details preventing a re-crop.
Hello Greg, Your re-do of the photo does open up the space at the top and evens the subject/framing ratio, thanks!
Also a good job pulling the details out of the dark areas without changing the overall 'mood', apparently my PP skills need some work!
Overall I'm happy with the capture, and the tweaks mentioned improve it greatly. We all can use some outside opinions, that's why I post here!
Thanks again,
Ron