Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-23-2013, 09:44 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Bridge Under the Super Moon
Lens: DA 40/2.8 ltd Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Seattle, WA ISO: 400 Shutter Speed: Above 6s Aperture: F16 

I took a series of shots under this bridge last night during the super moon. Some things went well and some things...well say I learned a lot. This was the best of the lot. I did a tiny bit of post processing, but nothing material. Opening myself up to your expert tutelage.

07-23-2013, 09:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Where's the moon? If you went out for the Super Moon wouldn't that be a key part of the shot?

My only thought (and I'm no expert) is I would probably like a bit wider. I think if the bridge going more into the top left corner and the boats on the right seem to be abruptly cut off when there seems to be something of interest there to look at. And the Super Moon under the bridge would have topped it all off.
07-23-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dcBear78 Quote
Where's the moon? .... the Super Moon under the bridge would have topped it all off.
Believe me, I tried! I had no idea how hard it was to photograph the moon. Got lots of amazing, but flawed results.
07-23-2013, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by troika Quote
Believe me, I tried! I had no idea how hard it was to photograph the moon. Got lots of amazing, but flawed results.
I know your pain. I went out too with varying results.

07-24-2013, 07:00 AM   #5
smf
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I like the image very much as presented.
Nitpicking, I offer that the photo appears to descend slightly to the left. I would not try to correct that now, as it would tamper with the burst at upper right.
All best,
Stu
07-24-2013, 08:22 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Hard to get things in sometimes. You shoot a wider view and get something in you want but likely something you didn't want too and you end up cropping it out. I was going to say maybe getting a little more detail showing up in the tree and foreground foliage but when I did a screen capture and opened it in photoshop it looked fine. That's quite often the case, for some reason images appear differently on different sites and programs, annoying as heck. The one thing that catches my eye is the bright spot that appears under the pedestrian bridge, or maybe it's just a viewing platform since it looks like it doesn't keeps going, anyway it keeps drawing my eye, probably because it's surrounded by the dark tones of the bridge and foliage.
07-24-2013, 08:58 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
...The one thing that catches my eye is the bright spot that appears under the pedestrian bridge, or maybe it's just a viewing platform since it looks like it doesn't keeps going, anyway it keeps drawing my eye, probably because it's surrounded by the dark tones of the bridge and foliage.
Yeah, that distracts me too. I thought it was a flare, but it's just light on the water, I think. I took some wider shots and my intent was a shot with the moon in it, but there were problems with all of them. I did get amazing starburts off of the lights on the bridge and I have some wider shots that I all of them in it, but the moon starbursted on me too and I didn't like it.

This was my first day with a DA40 ltd I picked up used here. I'm excited about what I did get, but I didn't get the shot I was after...but I will some day.

Thanks to everyone for your input, it helps me.