Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 07:20 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Upstairs
Lens: SMC 30/2.8 Camera: K5ii Photo Location: Seattle, WA 

Interested in feedback on these two. I was just back in town after a week away and wasn't quite out for anything in particular, but saw a few interesting things in a place that I stop for coffee sometimes. I'm not sure how I feel about them, but I want to open myself up to some criticism or advice or whatever. Aside from a little cropping, there was no post processing.

07-31-2013, 10:02 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hi
The first doesn't do much for me. Blue lights and some industrial objects. It gives me the impression that there wasn't much to photograph or nothing that got you excited. It was there so you took a shot. Your ambiguity would I think answer the question. If your photo doesn't excite you, the one who took it then it most likely do anything for dispassionate observer. The second is sort of the same. The thing that caught your eye are the interesting lighting fixtures I would assume. Again industrial surroundings, a rolling door and ventilation tube. Again it strikes me that you found it somewhat interesting but didn't put a lot of thought into the framing or pov. It was there, you were there, I've got my camera so I may as well snap a picture. I'm sounding very negative here I know. Don't mean to be harsh just how they strike me. That being said the second one may have some potential as a semi abstract if it were heavily cropped. I did an edit to show what I mean.
alternate edit of photo by troika | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Again not trying to be nasty or anything just how it strikes me.
Regards
Greg
07-31-2013, 10:32 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
The first doesn't do much for me. Blue lights and some industrial objects. It gives me the impression that there wasn't much to photograph or nothing that got you excited. It was there so you took a shot.
Yeah, that's pretty much right.

...The second ... The thing that caught your eye are the interesting lighting fixtures I would assume. Again industrial surroundings, a rolling door and ventilation tube...

Again it strikes me that you found it somewhat interesting but didn't put a lot of thought into the framing or pov.
Actually I did, I just wasn't coming up with much. I felt like there was something there, I just couldn't quite figure out what to capture.

That being said the second one may have some potential as a semi abstract if it were heavily cropped. I did an edit to show what I mean.
Thanks, I like it. I'll make that crop on my end and see how it looks fully cropped. I kept that first figure out of focus on purpose, but it was distracting to me. You're treatment of it is helpful to me and I appreciate it.

I'm sounding very negative here I know. Don't mean to be harsh just how they strike me.
Again not trying to be nasty or anything just how it strikes me.
Regards
Greg
Hey, I asked for it. I really did and I wanted it. I wasn't impressed with what I did here. I did like the setting and felt like there was something there, but I just didn't have the eye this morning. I appreciate you laying it out there for me.
08-02-2013, 08:12 PM   #4
K-9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
There really isn't a focal point or subject in either shot. Nothing to want to make the viewer keep looking with any interest.

08-02-2013, 10:18 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K-9 Quote
There really isn't a focal point or subject in either shot. Nothing to want to make the viewer keep looking with any interest.
Once again, I really appreciate the critique. Both accurate and helpful. I was trying, I just wasn't getting it that morning.

On the second photo, the focus was the lady figure. The crop suggested earlier in this thread helped communicate that. I wanted to like the out of focus figure in the front, but he was distracting enough to keep it from being clear. I made the crop myself and it does help the photo.

In any event, not my best day behind the eyepiece. I was looking for exactly what I got from you guys. "Okay, I couldn't do it today, why not?"

I'll think differently about it next time. Thanks again,