Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-31-2013, 10:27 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Mt. Rainier
Lens: Fa 20mm Camera: K5 Photo Location: Washington State ISO: 80 Aperture: F22 

This is a pano made from three photos. Appreciate your thoughts on my post processing work. Thank you.

Attached Images

08-01-2013, 03:55 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A stunningly clear day for Rainier! I'd have preferred a bit more of the wildflower meadow foreground and a bit less of the sky. That would give better balance, both in terms of proportion and also subject, playing off the massive distant mountain against the delicate foreground.

PP-wise, I find the saturation overdone. There are some noticeable halos around the foreground trees, and some areas in the middle distance seem unnaturally dark. A tough transition to handle, no doubt. Nice work on the stitching.
08-01-2013, 08:36 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There is a nice sense of depth. Foreground flowers, mid ground tree and mountain in the background. The side lighting helps define the shapes. It's easy to suggest things that may or may not have been possible. If it were possible I would have liked about 10% more foreground and 10% less sky. I'd agree with with baro-nite on the pp. There seems to be a lack of overall sharpness. Looking at the aperture f22, it's likely due to diffraction. If you could have used f11 or f8 I think it would look crisper. Unless the foreground flowers were only a couple of feet away f22 is overkill. If they were say 6ft away you could have used f11 and had a dof from 2' 11" to infinity. There is a chart here Depth of Field Table that you can insert your camera and lens and it will show you your dof at different apertures.
08-01-2013, 08:55 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Gregory_51 Quote
There is a nice sense of depth. Foreground flowers, mid ground tree and mountain in the background. The side lighting helps define the shapes. It's easy to suggest things that may or may not have been possible. If it were possible I would have liked about 10% more foreground and 10% less sky. I'd agree with with baro-nite on the pp. There seems to be a lack of overall sharpness. Looking at the aperture f22, it's likely due to diffraction. If you could have used f11 or f8 I think it would look crisper. Unless the foreground flowers were only a couple of feet away f22 is overkill. If they were say 6ft away you could have used f11 and had a dof from 2' 11" to infinity. There is a chart here Depth of Field Table that you can insert your camera and lens and it will show you your dof at different apertures.
Thank you for the helpful hint. The flowers were on the edge of a narrow trail, about 1-2 feet away. There were no more flowers in the foreground. I should have tried to capture more of these plants You're right, f11 or f13 might have given me a crisper image.