Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
08-01-2013, 12:51 PM - 1 Like   #1

Delayed Exposure Seascape
Lens: Sigma 150-500 Camera: Kr Photo Location: Adakoy,Marmaris Turkey 

Spent a bit of time doing some night shots whilst on hols, quite proud of this one, tell me what you think? Quite happy for you to burst my bubble!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
08-01-2013, 12:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Excellent shot! Even though the noise started to be visible in that distant plane - it doesn't spoil the mood and the charm of the moment you've captured.
Well done indeed !
08-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #3

Original Poster
There is a big city behind the island (Marmaris) which is what is making that bit more noisy / brighter than expected. I suppose I could sort that out with some PP
08-01-2013, 01:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by superduper Quote
There is a big city behind the island (Marmaris) which is what is making that bit more noisy / brighter than expected. I suppose I could sort that out with some PP
Well it adds up to the overall composition - so I definitely would keep that area visible - perhaps some additional strong noise removal + some blur will fix this.

Apart from that - a big like from me

08-01-2013, 01:30 PM   #5
Veteran Member

At the size shown on the forum I don't think the noise is obtrusive to the composition, it might be an issue if you wanted to print it at poster size though.

I like it and would be happy to look at it on my wall.
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's top side heavy. A lower horizon would have fixed the uninteresting bottom half.
08-01-2013, 01:46 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm sure that this was a very peaceful place to be at with the lighting penetrating the looming darkness.

Unfortunately as a photograph there is a primary weakness that is hard to overcome. Basically the lighted ship masts are too diminished to carry the shot. The tone of both the water (which is a dark mass taking up half the shot) and the sky is not very visually appealing. While the shape of the ridge behind is attractive, the rendering is rather muddy. The mountain range behind is too dark to be impressive, so visualizing its grandeur is frustrating. The boat itself is not lighted enough to provide significant visual interest, so it is up to the bare masts to carry that weight. And they are pretty scrawny. Perhaps if there were many other lighted ships to provide more light (and colorful light at that) and substance the scene would be a keeper.

Hope this helps,

M

08-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #8

Original Poster
I can kind of see what you are saying about the bottom half being uninteresting but for me I like this because of it makes the photo more of a minimalist abstract scene rather than just a pretty picture of a yacht. I do have a couple of shots from the same session which I guess are more interesting but for me they have something missing that the first shot has.

I thought I'd share the shot of the stones too, as for me it has the "thing" that the first shot has but the others don't. I guess sometimes the act of being in the place and taking the photos really colours your view on what the right photo that captures that moment is.

Thanks for the appreciation Larry and manntax.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-r  Photo 

Last edited by superduper; 08-01-2013 at 02:10 PM.
08-01-2013, 02:21 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Very much like that first photo from second your post! Really nice light and composed nicely with reflections of light on the water.. pleasure to look at
08-01-2013, 02:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

i don't mind the drawn out light across the water and i don't mind the noise, what i do mind is the sense of something missing (i.e. the rest of the boat)
the light from the masts don't give enough definition to the central character (the boat). it just gets lost in the dark hills behind

one maybe two ev of dodge to make the boat separate from the hills would be where i'd start.

the composition is fine, the color and mood are great, but like a tree trunk with no roots, the masts belong to the boat and the boat the masts.
that's the awkward part for me
08-01-2013, 09:32 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I think the first image has some nice elements. The yacht and reflection draw the eye. The far lit sky has a nice glow and the shape of the hills are nice. The hills are lacking in detail and would be more interesting if you brought that out. The noise in the sky is easy. The noise in the water if you lighten things up really shows up as blotchy but if you redid the pp and developed two versions and blended them things would improve I think. It may not be as dark as it looked when you took the photo but if you had taken it a half hour earlier it might have looked that way. The boat can be brightened up to to make it more interesting. I did a couple of quick edit to show what I mean for consideration. One lighter and one darker. Really there is an endless range of options depending on your taste.
alternative edit of photo by superduper | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
alternative edit of photo by superduper | Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Regards
Greg
08-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #12

Original Poster
Greg,
Thanks so much for the suggestions, I've done very little PP on my original shot. Like the second one a lot where you can see the island much more clearly and like nomad said being able to see the whole boat really makes a difference.

Time for more of play!

Cheers,

Steve